- Title: Lebanon paralysed for 7th day, army opens some roads
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: POLICE AND ARMOURED VEHICLE IN MIDDLE OF A BLOCKED ROAD WATCHING PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 11:39
- Keywords: Lebanon protests roads open Lebanon protests road blocks
- Location: JAL EL DIB, SIDON AND BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: JAL EL DIB, SIDON AND BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002B2BIPFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Lebanese army troops struggled to open main roads blocked by demonstrators on Wednesday (October 23) after economic reforms proposed by the government failed to stem a historic wave protests against the political elite.
The country remained paralysed for a seventh day by protests on Wednesday, with roads blocked across the country and banks and schools still closed.
Hundreds of thousands of people have flooded the streets, furious at a political class they accuse of pushing the economy to the point of collapse.
Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri's government announced an emergency reform package on Monday (October 21), to try to defuse the anger of protesters demanding the government resigns and also to steer the heavily indebted state away from a looming financial crisis.
(Production: Mohamed Azakir, Hassan Hankir, Ahmed el Kerdi, Yara Abi Nader, Louisa Naks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.