- Title: Putin congratulates Ethiopian Ahmed on Nobel Peace prize
- Date: 23rd October 2019
- Summary: SOCHI, RUSSIA (OCTOBER 23, 2019) (RUSSIAN POOL) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN AND ETHIOPIAN PRIME MINISTER ABIY AHMED SHAKING HANDS PUTIN ENTERING MEETING ROOM OFFICIALS WAITING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "First of all, I would like to congratulate you, (OVER SHOTS OF MEETING AND AHMED) prime minister, once again on winning the Nobel Peace Prize. It is a worthy tribute to your (OVER SIDE SHOT OF MEETING) great achievements in regulating the Eritrean-Ethiopian conflict and the efforts (CONTINUES IN SHOT) of your country in normalising the overall situation in eastern Africa." OFFICIALS TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "Our economic links are growing rapidly (CONTINUES OVER SHOT OF MEETING), however, of course, as I told the business people at the session today, our trade turnover volume is too small and is not adequate for Russia or Ethiopia." (CONTINUES IN SHOT) It goes without saying that we should and I hope we will make it greater (CONTINUES OVER AHMED) than it is today." VARIOUS OF OFFICIALS TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ETHIOPIAN PRIME MINISTER, ABIY AHMED, SAYING: "It's a great pleasure to meet you today for a second time and thank you for the warm welcome accorded to me and my delegation. I would like to thank the government of Russia for always standing alongside Ethiopia when it was forced to defend its independence and sovereignty. We acknowledge Russia as a key partner in our development in the world and Ethiopia wants to further strengthen this cooperation." OFFICIALS TALKING
- Embargoed: 6th November 2019 11:02
- Keywords: Russia Ethiopia Putin Ahmed Nobel Peace prize Sochi Russia Africa forum international trade
- Location: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- City: SOCHI, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2BJ2VB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian President Vladimir Putin congratulated Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed on winning the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize during their meeting on the sidelines of the Russia-Africa summit in Sochi on Wednesday (October 23).
The Russian leader said it was a "worthy tribute" to the prime minister's efforts in resolving the border conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea.
The two leaders also vowed to strengthen economic ties and cooperation between Russia and Ethiopia.
The Kremlin has said that it expects 47 African leaders to attend the Russia-Africa summit, which is part of Moscow's push to increase influence and business in the continent.
(Production: Peter Scott, Anton Derbenev)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None