- Title: Protesters in Lebanon take to streets for eighth day
- Date: 24th October 2019
- Summary: BEIRUT, LEBANON (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ROADS BLOCKED BY PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF ROAD BLOCKED WITH POLICE CAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD / SCREEN SHOWING LEBANESE FLAG (SOUNDBITE)(English) FEMALE PROTESTER, LYNN (NO LAST NAME GIVEN), 27, SAYING: "We're here to block the road peacefully, not doing anything wrong, people can still get around, but we're here because we want people to go on strike, this is a civil right, we have to protest, we have to stand up for what we need, and one of the things we need is not to have a government that is literally stealing everything from the people." VARIOUS OF BLOCKED ROADS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WITH GARBAGE BINS BLOCKING PASSAGE (SOUNDBITE)(Arabic) FEMALE PROTESTER, INAS (NO LAST NAME GIVEN), SAYING: "We are blocking the road for many reasons, for my children that I want to raise in Lebanon, for my mother and father so I can secure them in their old age, because when I look at them, I question how will they continue their lives, if I cannot raise my children now (economically), how about if my mother or father wants to go to a hospital, what can I do, how can I pay for them if they got sick and had to enter the hospital." JAL EL DIB, LEBANON (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) ARMY VEHICLES PARKED NEAR BLOCKED HIGHWAY LINKING NORTH LEBANON TO BEIRUT BLOCKED HIGHWAY LINKING NORTH LEBANON TO BEIRUT SIDON, LEBANON (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING IN FRONT OF LEBANESE CENTRAL BANK SHOUTING SLOGANS CARS PASSING IN FRONT OF CENTRAL BANK WITH LEBANESE ARMY SOLDIERS STANDING VARIOUS OF LEBANESE ARMY VEHICLES AND SOLDIERS OPERATING VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC ON MAIN HIGHWAY VARIOUS OF SHOPS CLOSED PROTESTERS GATHERED, SOME SEATED WITH OTHERS STANDING IN MIDDLE OF STREET WOMAN WALKING IN FRONT OF LEBANESE ARMY SOLDIERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SITTING AND SLEEPING ON GROUND AND CHAIR BLOCKED ROAD WITH LEBANESE ARMY VEHICLE PARKED AND CARS TAKING TURN BEIRUT, LEBANON (OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SITTING IN FRONT OF THE GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS VARIOUS OF THE GRAND SERAIL PROTESTERS CLEANING IN MARTYR'S SQUARE
- Embargoed: 7th November 2019 08:31
- Keywords: Protests civil unrest Lebanon revolution blocked roads army
- Location: BEIRUT, JAL EL DIB AND SIDON, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, JAL EL DIB AND SIDON, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2GJ5TZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Protesters blocked roads across Lebanon on Thursday morning (October 24) for an eighth day of unprecedented protests against the political elite that have paralysed the country for a week.
Lebanese leaders are discussing a possible government reshuffle, sources said on Wednesday (October 23), to assuage public anger and President Michel Aoun is expected to speak later on Thursday.
With a population of 6 million people, including around 1 million Syrian refugees, Lebanon has been swept by protests against politicians blamed for corruption and waste in a state mired in debt and economic crisis.
Lebanon's unrest is the latest in a flare-up of protests around the world - from Hong Kong and Barcelona to Quito and Santiago - each having its own trigger but sharing some underlying frustrations.
(Production: Imad Creidi, Issam Abdallah, Hassan Hankir)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None