- Title: One dead in Baghdad anti-government protests
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS CARRYING IRAQI FLAGS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS / AMBULANCE DRIVING WITH SIREN ON PROTESTER WITH STAINED T-SHIRT MAKING PEACE SIGN / INJURED PROTESTER RUNNING AWAY PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS / SMOKE RISING FROM TEAR GAS CANISTERS SECURITY FIRING TEAR GAS CANISTERS / SMOKE RISING FROM TEAR GAS CANISTERS AMBULANCES DRIVING THROUGH PROTEST / PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS AMBULANCE MAKING U-TURN AMBULANCE SPEEDING THROUGH PROTEST / SCOOTER AND TUK TUK FOLLOWING AMBULANCE / TUK TUK CRASHING WITH OTHER TUK TUK COMING FROM OPPOSITE DIRECTION PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS / INJURED PROTESTER ON GROUND PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS INJURED PROTESTER BEING ATTENDED PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS PROTESTERS STANDING ON BRIDGE / SECURITY FORCES IN THE DISTANCE SECURITY FORCES ON BRIDGE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS MAKING SIGNS TO SECURITY FORCES LINE ON BRIDGE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM TEAR GAS GROUP OF FEMALE PROTESTERS WITH IRAQI FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: ''We came today to put an end to such a humiliation. Enough! We want to live like the rest of the world. Saddam oppressed us for 35 years, we got to 16 years with these rulers. It means we have been suffering oppression for 51 years. We want a solution, we want to live, we want to live!" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS AT THE FOOT OF BRIDGE
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 10:24
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2LHDMV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A number of protesters was injured and one was killed in Baghdad (October 25) as security forces used tear gas and stun grenades to repel demonstrators.
One man died after being struck in the face by a tear gas canister, Iraqi police and medical sources said, as the demonstration marched towards government buildings in protest against corruption and economic hardship.
Friday marked a renewal of anti-government protests after security forces killed about 150 people in confronting a round of demonstrations at the start of the month.
About 1,000 people, some of whom had camped overnight in Baghdad's Tahrir Square, were marching towards the city's fortified Green Zone, which houses government buildings and foreign embassies, when they were stopped by security forces.
Medical sources told Reuters about 20 people had been treated in hospital for tear gas exposure.
(Production: Maher Nazeh, Mohammed al-Ramahi, Mohammed Katfan, Chiara Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None