- Title: 'Voices united are very powerful' - Chilean chorists sing in protest
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DOCENT COORDINATOR OF THE SANTIAGO MUNICIPAL THEATER, FRANCISCA GILI, SAYING: "There are people here that think in different ways and that transcends. Choral singing is unity and Chile needs unity. That motivated me to come. Even if we likely all don't think or feel the same way, there is a union here, and that is an example we need, no matter who you are."
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 20:39
- Keywords: Victor Jarra chorus Chilean President Sebastian Pinera choral singers protests sing Chile Santiago
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA004B2LKD3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As sometimes violent protests continue to rock Chile's capital, a group of choral singers gathered to raise their voices in unity and call for peace.
The singers gathered not far from Chile's presidential palace, La Moneda, to raise their voices in unison for a peaceful protest.
According to local media, some 200 singers participated and sang songs by legendary Chilean singer-songwriter Victor Jarra who was tortured and killed during the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet.
Recent protests in Chile started over a hike in public transport fares and boiled into riots, arson and looting that have killed at least 17 people, injured hundreds, brought more than 7,000 arrests and caused more than $1.4 billion of losses to Chilean businesses.
(Production: Sergio Viedma, Jorge Vega)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None