- Title: 'Voices united are very powerful' - Chilean chorists sing in protest
- Date: 25th October 2019
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (OCTOBER 25, 2019) (REUTERS) PERSON DIRECTING CHORUS / CHORAL SINGERS VARIOUS, CHORISTS SINGING WITH THE LA MONEDA PALACE IN BACKGROUND DOCENT COORDINATOR OF THE SANTIAGO MUNICIPAL THEATER, FRANCISCA GILI, SINGING VARIOUS, CHORISTS SINGING
- Embargoed: 8th November 2019 20:39
- Keywords: Victor Jarra chorus Chilean President Sebastian Pinera choral singers protests sing Chile Santiago
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001B2LKD3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As sometimes violent protests continue to rock Chile's capital, a group of choral singers gathered to raise their voices in unity and call for peace.
The singers gathered not far from Chile's presidential palace, La Moneda, to raise their voices in unison for a peaceful protest.
According to local media, some 200 singers participated and sang songs by legendary Chilean singer-songwriter Victor Jarra who was tortured and killed during the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet.
Recent protests in Chile started over a hike in public transport fares and boiled into riots, arson and looting that have killed at least 17 people, injured hundreds, brought more than 7,000 arrests and caused more than $1.4 billion of losses to Chilean businesses.
(Production: Sergio Viedma, Jorge Vega)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.