- Title: No laughing matter, Mexican clowns make pilgrimage to Guadalupe Basilica
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (DECEMBER 17, 2019) (REUTERS) CLOWNS ON PILGRIMAGE WITH STATUE OF THE VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE AND CHANTING (Spanish) "WE WANT FUN AND WE'RE GOING TO THE BASILICA" CLOWNS SAYING CHANT FOR VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE CLOWNS AMONGST STATUE OF VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE VARIOUS OF CLOWNS IN PILGRIMAGE ONLOOKER FROM HER WINDOW CLOWNS PERFORMING DURING PILGRIMAGE CLOWNS ON PILGRIMAGE WITH STATUE OF VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CLOWN, PICHIRRIN, SAYING: "To give thanks to the Virgin, for all the years we have been given work, a lot of joy for children. Thanks to God we have a lot of work all year and that is why we have come together to give thanks to the Virgin." CLOWNS SINGING (Spanish) "WE'RE GOING TO THE BASILICA" CLOWNS DURING PILGRIMAGE CLOWN PERFORMING CLOWN BLOWING WHISTLE CLOWNS IN CONGO LINE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CLOWN, PONCHITO PECAS, SAYING: "To give thanks for all the work, for all that has been achieved this year, and for another year to again visit her (Virgin of Guadalupe). It gives me joy and peace to walk this path." CLOWN WITH RELIGIOUS STATUE OF VIRGIN CLOWNS IN PILGRIMAGE WITH STATUE OF VIRGIN OF GUADALUPE
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 00:32
- Keywords: Guadalupe Basilica Mexico Mexico City clowns pilgrimage
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAD729Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: There was lots of funny business going on in the streets of Mexico City on Tuesday (December 17) as clowns filled the streets of the capital with bursts of colour and sound as they made their annual pilgrimage to the Basilica of Our Lady Guadalupe.
Dressed in colourful costumes, professional pranksters from all over Mexico walked towards the Basilica to attend a mass in honour of the saint.
As members of the Clown Club of Mexico, the performers have been making the pilgrimage for over 30 years to ask the Virgin of Guadalupe to continue to watch over their members and their families.
After dancing and singing through the streets, the clowns arrived at the iconic Mexican Basilica for mass.
The Virgin of Guadalupe is the patron saint of Mexico and is revered by millions of Roman Catholic faithful.
(Production: Josue Gonzalez, Manuel Carrillo, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None