- Title: Russia's Putin expects Trump to survive impeachment proceedings
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (RUSSIAN POOL) ANNUAL NEWS CONFERENCE BY RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: (STARTS OVER ENDING OF SHOT 1) "You're asking the question as if it's (presidency of U.S. President Donald Trump) coming to an end, and I'm not sure about this. It needs to go through the Senate where the Republicans have a majority as far as I know and it's unlikely that they would like to remove a representative of their party from power for, in my opinion, made up reasons." KREMLIN SPOKESPERSON, DMITRY PESKOV, LISTENING TO PUTIN PUTIN SPEAKING AT CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "It's just the continuation of the internal political conflict and the party that lost the election, the democratic party, is trying to get the results (it wanted) by other means and are accusing Trump of collusion with Russia (CONTINUES OVER AUDIENCE), then it turns out that there was no collusion and that his cannot be the basis for impeachment. Now they're trying to pressure him through Ukraine, which is made up." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 10:32
- Keywords: Putin Putin's annual news conference Russia Trump impeachment Trump impeachment vote U.S. President Donald Trump Vladimir Putin
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN67UV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday (December 19) he expects his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump's to remain in office despite the House of Representatives voting to impeach Trump on Wednesday.
Putin said the allegations against Trump are "made up" and that he believes the U.S. Senate is unlikely to remove Trump from office.
Putin added that Russia is ready to agree on a new START arms treaty with the United States, but that there has been no response to Russian proposals.
(Production: Masha Vasilyeva, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None