- Title: Russia's Putin seeks end to Libya conflict and talks between two sides
- Date: 19th December 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 19, 2019) (RUSSIAN POOL) ANNUAL NEWS CONFERENCE OF RUSSIAN PRESIDENT VLADIMIR PUTIN IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "(STARTS OVER AUDIENCE) Do you believe (CONTINUES OVER PUTIN IN SHOT) what the Western media report? Do you believe everything? Read what they are reporting about Turkey and you will change your mind." MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "(STARTS OVER AUDIENCE) We, Russia, by the way, are in permanent contact with (CONTINUES OVER PUTIN IN SHOT) Mr. (Fayez) al-Sarraj's government, with (Field) Marshal (Khalifa Belqasim) Haftar. We continuously communicate with our parthners including those in Turkey, in Europe, in other countries." JOURNALIST LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "In our opinion, the best solution would be to find a (compromise) between the two sides of the conflict which allows them to stop fighting and agree on who, how and under what authority (CONTINUES OVER AUDIENCE) they will govern the country. Libya, I believe, is interested in it." JOURNALISTS TRYING TO DRAW ATTENTION TO THEIR QUESTIONS NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 2nd January 2020 11:55
- Keywords: Putin Putin's annual news conference Russia Vladimir Putin
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAN6B0N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday (December 19) he wants to see an end to the conflict in Libya and then talks between the two opposing sides to begin.
Speaking at an annual news conference in Moscow, Putin said he would discuss Libya with a Turkish delegation in Russia in the coming days.
Moscow and Ankara have backed different sides in the conflict, which began in 2014.
(Production: Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None