- Title: U.S. foreign policy under Trump's administration 2017-2018.
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: Trump says U.S. steel, aluminium sectors 'decimated' by unfair trade. TANGSHAN, HEBEI PROVINCE, CHINA (FILE - OCTOBER 2011) (REUTERS) STEEL MOVING ALONG CONVEYOR BELT OF PRODUCTION LINE WORKERS PACKING ROLL OF STEEL SHANGHAI, CHINA (FILE - SEPTEMBER 2013) (REUTERS) CONTAINERS IN PORT TIANJIN, CHINA (FILE - MAY 16, 2015) (REUTERS) CONTAINER BEING LOADED ONTO TRUCK LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 6, 2015) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SHIPS LOADED WITH CONTAINERS AT SEA The rumblings of a global trade war sent stocks and currency markets tumbling on March 23 after U.S. President Donald Trump announced long-promised tariffs on Chinese goods and China retaliated with a pledge to fight to the end any such war. TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - MARCH 23, 2018) (REUTERS) JAPANESE MEDIA FILMING TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE STOCK BOARD ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD SHOWING THE NIKKEI 225 AVERAGE AT 20788.12 DOWN 803.87 ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD ELECTRONIC STOCK BOARD SHOWING USD TOJPY AS 104.84 YEN, DOWN 0.84 SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (FILE - MARCH 23, 2018) (REUTERS) ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING KOREA COMPOSITE STOCK PRICE INDEX (KOSPI) VARIOUS OF STOCK PRICES ELECTRONIC BOARD SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA (FILE - MARCH 23, 2018) (REUTERS) ELECTRONIC BOARDS DISPLAYING STOCK PRICES AND MARKET GAINS AND LOSSES ELECTRONIC BOARDS DISPLAYING S&P/ ASX 200 GRAPH AND TOP 10 S&P/ ASX 200 LOSSES
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 18:36
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Brexit COP24 Caravan China Chinese president Congress EU Emmanuel Macron G20 Guatemala. Honduras Iran Iran leader Jerusalem Macron Mexico Netanyahu North Korea Nuclear Republicans Rouhani Russia Saudi Arabia Theresa May Trump UK Vladimir Putin Xi Xi Jingpin alliances climate change detention center foreign policy foreign relations global warming immigrants nuclear deal sanctions tariffs trade war
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA016BAJ0C3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: FOREIGN POLICY CONTINUES IN EDIT: 0465-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY 2018-PART 1 AND 0467-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY 2018-PART 3
Donald Trump assumed the office of the President of the United States with a pledge to "make America great again."
Half-way through his first term, Trump claims that task has been accomplished, telling audiences at any of his frequent political pep rallies that "our country is respected again all over the world".
But, in the arena of U.S. foreign policy, whether Trump has engineered a solidification of America's position in the world, or whether he has weakened America's status as the pre-eminent global economic, military, and moral force, is a question that is sharply debated within America's fractious politics.
Few disputes, however, that whatever Donald Trump is doing in his foreign policy, it is unlike the way any previous U.S. president operated on the global stage.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None