- Title: U.S. foreign policy under Trump's administration 2017-2018.
- Date: 18th December 2019
- Summary: French President Emmanuel Macron used an address to world leaders gathered in Paris for Armistice commemorations on November 11 to send a stern message about the dangers of nationalism, calling it a betrayal of moral values. With U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin sitting just a few feet away listening to the speech via translation earpieces, Macron denounced those who evoke nationalist sentiment to disadvantage others. PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - NOVEMBER 11, 2018) (REUTERS) ARC DE TRIOMPHE (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Nationalism is its betrayal. By pursuing our own interests first, with no regard to others', we erase the very thing that a nation holds most precious, that which gives its life and makes it great: its moral values."
- Embargoed: 1st January 2020 18:36
- Keywords: Ali Khamenei Brexit COP24 Caravan China Chinese president Congress EU Emmanuel Macron G20 Guatemala. Honduras Iran Iran leader Jerusalem Macron Mexico Netanyahu North Korea Nuclear Republicans Rouhani Russia Saudi Arabia Theresa May Trump UK Vladimir Putin Xi Xi Jingpin alliances climate change detention center foreign policy foreign relations global warming immigrants nuclear deal sanctions tariffs trade war
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00LBAJ0C3R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: FOREIGN POLICY CONTINUES IN EDIT: 0465-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY 2018-PART 1 AND 0467-USA-TRUMP/FOREIGN POLICY 2018-PART 3
Donald Trump assumed the office of the President of the United States with a pledge to "make America great again."
Half-way through his first term, Trump claims that task has been accomplished, telling audiences at any of his frequent political pep rallies that "our country is respected again all over the world".
But, in the arena of U.S. foreign policy, whether Trump has engineered a solidification of America's position in the world, or whether he has weakened America's status as the pre-eminent global economic, military, and moral force, is a question that is sharply debated within America's fractious politics.
Few disputes, however, that whatever Donald Trump is doing in his foreign policy, it is unlike the way any previous U.S. president operated on the global stage.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None