- Title: Everton and Arsenal draw 0-0 in front of new bosses Ancelotti and Arteta
- Date: 21st December 2019
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK (DECEMBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL INTERIM MANAGER, FREDDIE LJUNGBERG, ON ARSENAL FUTURE, SAYING: "So, I've spoken to Mikel a little bit yesterday, of course a little bit today. The club has said they want me to stay and of course I'm going to have a chat with him tomorrow."
- Embargoed: 4th January 2020 16:28
- Keywords: Arsenal Carlo Ancelotti Duncan Ferguson Everton Freddie Ljungberg Gunners Mikel Arteta Premier League Toffees
- Location: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA009BAX57WF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Everton were held to a 0-0 home draw by Arsenal on Saturday (December 21) in a dull Premier League clash, which took a back seat to both clubs naming new managers in a bid to revive their fortunes.
Carlo Ancelotti, named as the new Everton manager barely an hour before the kickoff, got a first glimpse of the Toffees from the directors' box as did Arsenal's new head coach Mikel Arteta who was appointed by the Gunners on Friday (December 20).
A battle of outgoing caretakers - Everton's Duncan Ferguson and Arsenal's Freddie Ljungberg - failed to produce any fireworks with Everton having the upper hand in a tepid first half.
Gylfi Sigurdsson hit the side-netting from a free kick and striker Cenk Tosun could not get any direction on a sharp low cross by Tom Davies as the home side dictated proceedings.
Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford produced a superb reflex save to deny Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from close range shortly after the break before an almighty goalmouth scramble nearly resulted in an own goal at the other end.
Neither side could find a breakthrough in the closing stages with Arsenal packing their defence to deal with a flurry of Everton crosses into their penalty area.
(Production: Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None