- Title: Exhausted Klopp hails incredible night for Liverpool
- Date: 22nd December 2019
- Summary: DOHA, QATAR (DECEMBER 21, 2019) (REUTERS) LIVERPOOL MANAGER JUERGEN KLOPP ARRIVING FOR POST MATCH NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL MANAGER, JUERGEN KLOPP, SAYING: "You know we are all kind of exhausted more or less from a very intense game. But, in moments like this when I really struggle to find the right words in not my native language for describing my respect for the boys. How they do it, it's incredible. It was an incredible performance in an incredibly difficult game against a good opponent. But we did so many good things, unbelievable. So many good football moments. Everyone was for different reasons on the edge pretty much. But, I saw so many sensationally good performances. MINI "#CLUBWC" SIGN (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL MANAGER, JUERGEN KLOPP, SAYING: "We don't want to have late goals but they were necessary because we were either behind or it was level in the game. So, they were all very, very important these late goals, like it was tonight. The boys developed, improved in the last month, in the last two, three years, a lot. And when you start believing then you believe through the full ninety, ninety-five minutes." DURING PRESS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL MANAGER, JUERGEN KLOPP, SAYING: "If one is not scoring then the other one is scoring, or the other two ones are scoring. So, Divock Origi for example nobody's talking about him, scored incredibly important goals. Xherdan Shaqiri scored last year incredibly important goals or set them up. Mo Salah scores for us incredible number of goals, all of them very important but not always. Then Sadio's (Mane) stepping up and scoring incredibly important goals. And now here we needed obviously Bobby's (Roberto Firmino) goals and here they are. I couldn't be more happy for him that he could score that goal because before the game we spoke a lot what this competition means to Brazil, to South American people, especially Brazilian people. And we have two Brazilians and he's one of them and it means the world to him and it helped us a lot. And on top of that it was a sensational goal. Completely calm." LIVERPOOL STRIKER ROBERTO FIRMINO AT POST MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) LIVERPOOL STRIKER, ROBERTO FIRMINO, SAYING: "Thank you. It was a very strong game, Flamengo were playing neck and neck with us, doing a very good job, deserved winners in Brazil of the Libertadores. So congratulations to them. In respect to the goal, I saw that Sadio Mane had the ball so I ran to him and he passed to me. I also saw that Rodrigo was on the lookout...I was happy to get it out, to help my team. I am very happy to make a mark at a world tournament, that's what I wanted, we really wanted it, it was a deserved (win)." FLAMENGO COACH JORGE JESUS ARRIVING FOR POST MATCH NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) FLAMENGO COACH, JORGE JESUS, SAYING: "We shouldn't forget that of those teams in Europe this (Liverpool) team is considered the strongest. Our Flamengo, as we say in Portugal, they were eye to eye (with their opponents), attack for attack, without any problems. For 90-something minutes, 95 minutes, sometimes Liverpool were out on top, at other times Flamengo were out on top and that is part of the game with two great teams. And today Flamengo showed here that it was a great team. I am very proud of my players and the team." JESUS LEAVING POST MATCH NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 5th January 2020 00:23
- Keywords: FIFA Club World Cup final Flamengo Jorge Jesus Juergen Klopp Liverpool
- Location: DOHA, QATAR
- City: DOHA, QATAR
- Country: Qatar
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001BAX53Y7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp hailed his team's Club World Cup victory over Flamengo on Saturday (December 21) as "incredible" and said the European champions had again shown the power of their self-belief.
An extra-time goal from Roberto Firmino proved decisive after Flamengo had shown to be a match for Klopp's Premier League leaders for large parts of the game.
The German was quick to praise the Brazilian Copa Libertadores winners and their huge travelling support, saying that after debate over how much the trophy would mean for Liverpool, he now had no doubt.
Not for the first time in Liverpool's run of success under Klopp, it was a late goal that decided the match.
As for Firmino, Klopp said a key strength of his side was the ability of one his front three to always deliver a goal and praised Firmino for finding the target in both the final and the semi-final in Qatar.
Flamengo coach Jorge Jesus meanwhile said he was proud of the performance his team provided, especially against the champions of Europe.
(Production: Abdel Ramahi / Stefan Haskins)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None