- Title: Lavrov at meeting with Muallem says Syria returning to peaceful life
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER SERGEI LAVROV MEETING SYRIAN FOREIGN MINISTER WALID MUALLEM JOURNALISTS FILMING MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "On today's agenda, (we plan to) solve tasks (aimed at) restoring full operations at all state institutes, restoring economic projects. Syria is already essentially entering into a phase of peace, a phase of returning to peace." MEETING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "First of all, this became possible after Syrian Armed Forces, with the support of Russian Aerospace Forces, restored and continue to restore control over more and more territory of the Syrian Arab Republic." JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "We're convinced that seeing this through to the end is the logical conclusion to the process of restoring sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Syrian Arab Republic. It will be the optimal foundation for solving all the problems related to the provision of rights to the various religious groups of the Syrian Arab Republic. MEETING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SERGEI LAVROV, SAYING: "Of course, we cannot help but be pleased that the political process has been launched at last and the Constitutional Committee has started working despite numerous attempts to hinder it." MEETING IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, WALID MUALLEM, SAYING (ACCORDING TO OFFICIAL TRANSLATION): "The United States is using its illegal base in Al-Tanf, they sent unmanned drones to Homs and conducted airstrikes on oil refining infrastructure. This occurred four days ago. I would like to note that this is happening during winter when we are in serious need of oil and gas." LAVROV AND MUALLEM LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 12:06
- Keywords: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov Syrian conflict Syrian minister Walid Muallem
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001BB74Q4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Monday (December 23) that Syria was in a phase of returning to peace during his meeting with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem in Moscow.
Lavrov also said that this had become possible after Russian-backed Syrian forces had taken back control over parts of Syria.
Muallem criticised a United States drone attack launched, from what he described as its illegal Al-Tanf airbase, against oil refining infrastructure in Homs.
Russian-backed Syrian forces have gained ground after a week-long renewed assault against the last opposition enclave in Syria's northwest, witnesses and residents said on Sunday (December 22).
The wide-scale offensive led by intense aerial strikes on civilian areas in rural south-eastern Idlib province broke months of stalemate on the frontlines, where rebels had been holding back the army from major advances, they said.
(Production: Dmitry Madorsky, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None