- Title: Muilenburg was sacrificed for appearances - analyst
- Date: 23rd December 2019
- Summary: PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 23, 2019) (REUTERS VIA SKYPE) (SOUNDBITE) (English) R.W. MANN & COMPANY, FOUNDER, ROBERT MANN, SAYING: "So, in some sense, I believe that the problem is already solved, but Muilenburg was sacrificed in order for appearances sake to, you know, to make it suggests that there was a change. Again, I think the problem is... from an engineering standpoint, the problem's already been solved, and it's in the process of being recertified."
- Embargoed: 6th January 2020 18:36
- Keywords: 737 MAX jetliner Boeing Chief Executive Dennis Muilenburg David Calhoun R.W. Mann Richard Aboulafia Robert Mann Teal Group aircraft airline flight jet
- Location: RENTON, WASHINGTON, + NEW YORK, + PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, + WASHINGTON, D.C., + DALLAS, TEXAS, UNITED STATES, TOKYO, JAPAN, UNKNOWN LOCATIONS
- City: RENTON, WASHINGTON, + NEW YORK, + PORT WASHINGTON, NEW YORK, + WASHINGTON, D.C., + DALLAS, TEXAS, UNITED STATES, TOKYO, JAPAN, UNKNOWN LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA00BBB7600D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Boeing ousted Chief Executive Dennis Muilenburg on Monday (December 23) as the world's biggest planemaker sought to control an escalating crisis that has seen it halt production of its best-selling 737 MAX jetliner following two fatal crashes.
The sacking comes as Boeing struggles to mend strained relations with the regulators it needs to win over to get the grounded 737 back in the air, and seeks to regain trust with passengers and airline customers around the world.
Chairman David Calhoun will take over as CEO and president, effective from Jan. 13, the company said, adding that a change in leadership was necessary to restore confidence.
The company's shares, which have dropped more than 20% over the past nine months, rose nearly 4% in early trading.
(Production: Aleksandra Michalska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None