- Title: Tens of thousands welcome in 2020 at Tokyo's Shibuya crossing
- Date: 31st December 2019
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (DECEMBER 31, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AT TOKYO'S SHIBUYA CROSSING FOR NEW YEAR COUNTDOWN VARIOUS OF POLICE ESCORTING PEOPLE ON STREET POLICEMAN USING MEGAPHONE TO SPEAK TO CROWDS CROWD AT CROSSING CHEERING SCREEN WITH COUNTDOWN / CROWD COUNTING DOWN TO 2020 THEN CHEERING TOKYO, JAPAN (JANUARY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE FILMING MOMENT ON MOBILE PHONES AFTER COUNTDOWN MAN AND WOMAN TAKING PHOTOGRAPH MEN LAUGHING GROUP INSIDE CHEERING CROWD OUTSIDE CHEERING AND WAVING FLAGS MAN AND WOMAN SAYING (English): "Happy New Year" (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 20-YEAR-OLD, MASATO IHA, SAYING: "It will be a nice, memorable day in my life to be here at a place with so many people." (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 20-YEAR-OLD, TAITO HIGA, SAYING: "It's the year of the Olympics and I turned 20-years-old so it's a milestone year for me. There were so many people from overseas here and I was able to learn their cultures. It's a great feeling to welcome the new year with this awesome crowd." CROWD CHEERING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 29-YEAR-OLD, NOE KANAZAWA, SAYING: "(My goal in 2020) is to work hard and make an effort on my love life too." (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 20-YEAR-OLD, KAZUKI TSURUMARU, SAYING: "I play soccer so I want to make it a good year (for my soccer), different from past years." GROUP WEARING RED HATS TAKING PHOTOGRAPH CROWD AT CROSSING
- Embargoed: 14th January 2020 17:52
- Keywords: 2020 Japan New Year New Year's eve Shibuya crossing Tokyo celebration countdown
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001BCB1GEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of people gathered at Tokyo's iconic Shibuya crossing on Tuesday (December 31) to celebrate the New Year.
Event organisers said more than 108,000 people from Japan and overseas packed the site, as they watched the countdown on the large electronic billboard.
One in the crowd, Taito Higa who was born in the year 2000, said it felt "great" to be part of the massive crowd and welcoming 2020. It was a "milestone" year for him, he added.
Other participants spoke about their New Year's resolutions.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None