- Title: Guinea-Bissau election: supporters of frontrunner Embalo confident of win
- Date: 30th December 2019
- Summary: BISSAU, GUINEA BISSAU (DECEMBER 30, 2019) (REUTERS) BANDIM MARKET STREET PEOPLE IN THE MARKET MARKET TRADER MARKET STALLS PEOPLE WALKING IN THE MARKET VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WITH THE SCARF EMBLEMATIC OF PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, UMARO CISSOKO EMBALO'S, PARTY IN THE MARKET EMBALO SUPPORTERS MAKING VICTORY SIGN SAYING 'Viva!' (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese Creole) REPRESENTATIVE OF MADEM G-15 POLITICAL PARTY, CARAMO SOARES GASSAMA, SAYING: "According to the results we have collected, we see we are ahead of Domingos Simoes Pereira and that we have won the elections with 55% of the votes. In all the regions Madem G-15 is ahead and we won't accept unfavourable results." EMBALO SUPPORTERS SAYING (Portuguese): 'Long Live Democracy' (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese Creole) MADEM G-15 SUPPORTER, NIAKASS CAMARA, SAYING: "Our candidate, we voted for him in huge numbers and even the blind can see that. We have spent 40 years with the PAIGC, our parents have supported the PAIGC and despite all of that misery continues in the country, the economic crisis continues and that is the reason why we opted for the political alternative and for change." CAMPAIGN POSTER FOR EMBALO PEOPLE IN THE STREETS CAMPAIGN BUS FOR THE PAIGC PARTY WITH POSTERS OF PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, DOMINGOS SIMOES PEREIRA MAN WALKING PAST MAN WITH T-SHIRT READING (English): "VOTE DSP" (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese Creole) PEREIRA SUPPORTER, DOMINGAS SAMBU, SAYING: "If Domingos loses the elections and we refuse to accept the results, it could create problems for Guinea Bissau. We don't want problems in this country. If Domingos wins, the Umaro Ebalo Cissoko camp must accept the results." BANNER URGING PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR PEREIRA (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese Creole) PEREIRA SUPPORTER, ADJA KADISANO, SAYING: "If Domingos loses the election in a way that is transparent, he will accept the results. He won't accept them for the PAIGC but to keep peace in the country. If he loses transparently, he will accept the results. And if he wins it will be good, but we believe it is for the electoral commission to announce the results officially." PRESIDENTIAL PALACE FLAG MILITARY VEHICLE
- Embargoed: 13th January 2020 12:00
- Keywords: Umaro Cissoko Embalo domingos sImoes pereira election president results voting
- Location: BISSAU, GUINEA BISSAU
- City: BISSAU, GUINEA BISSAU
- Country: Guinea-Bissau
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001BC61KJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: As Guinea-Bissau counts ballots for a run-off presidential election between two former prime ministers, supporters of presidential candidate Umaro Cissoko Embalo said they were convinced of a victory on Monday (December 30).
The run-off between Embalo and the ruling PAICG party candidate Domingos Simoes Pereira went smoothly on Sunday (December 29).
Provisional results are expected on Wednesday (January 1).
Pereira is seen as the front-runner after winning the first round in November with 40% of the vote. His opponent Embalo is a brigadier general who came second with 28%. Political analysts say the result could be close.
Both candidates say that if elected they will work to overcome a long-running political impasse and modernise the country of 1.6 million people.
African observers said voting went smoothly.
(Production: Christophe Van Der Perre, Yvonne Bell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None