- Title: Anti-Iran protesters demonstrate outside Tehran's embassy in Berlin
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (German) ANTI-IRAN PROTESTER WHO DECLINED TO GIVE HIS NAME, SAYING: "We will continue with this until there is a regime change in Iran." PROTESTER SPEAKING INTO MEGAPHONE / FLAGS
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 14:19
- Keywords: Iranian Major-General Qassem Soleimani NCRI assassination national council of resistance protest outside Iran Berlin embassy
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA006BUMB13B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iranian opposition members in Germany said on Friday that the death of Qassem Soleimani, commander of Iran's elite Quds Force, would accelerate the demise of Tehran's "religious dictatorship."
Several dozen Iran opposition supporters protested outside the Iranian embassy in Berlin, hours after a U.S. air strike in Baghdad killed the 62-year-old general who was regarded as the second most powerful figure in Iran after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The Germany spokesman for the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), Javad Dabiran told Reuters Television that his organisation demanded a "decisive policy" from the European Union against Iran's "terror regime."
Dabiran called Soleimani a "war criminal" and said the general was a key player in the crackdown of last November's demonstrations which left around 1,500 people dead.
(Production: Martin Schlicht, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None