- Title: Anti-Iran protesters demonstrate outside Tehran's embassy in Berlin
- Date: 3rd January 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (German) NATIONAL COUNCIL OF RESISTANCE OF IRAN (NCRI) GERMANY SPOKESMAN, JAVAD DABIRAN, SAYING: "We demand from the EU a decisive policy against the terror regime in Iran. What happened today will accelerate the demise of Iran's religious dictatorship." CHANTING ANTI-IRAN PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (German) NATIONAL COUNCIL OF RESISTANCE OF IRAN (NCRI) GERMANY SPOKESMAN, JAVAD DABIRAN, SAYING: "Qassem Soleimani was a war criminal who committed crimes against humanity. Most of his crimes were committed in Iran against the Iranian opposition and he was a key player in suppressing the demonstrations in Iran last November." POLICEMEN WATCHING CHANTING PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ANTI-IRAN PROTESTER, DONYA JAM, SAYING: "He is responsible for many deaths. Hundreds of thousands of people in Syria have been killed because of him. If (Syrian President) Bashar al-Assad is in power today it's because of Qassem Soleimani and the Iranian regime's help to the Assad regime. And so today we are here to be the voice of the Iranian people and echo the demand for a regime change in Iran."
- Embargoed: 17th January 2020 14:19
- Keywords: Iranian Major-General Qassem Soleimani NCRI assassination national council of resistance protest outside Iran Berlin embassy
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA004BUMB13B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iranian opposition members in Germany said on Friday that the death of Qassem Soleimani, commander of Iran's elite Quds Force, would accelerate the demise of Tehran's "religious dictatorship."
Several dozen Iran opposition supporters protested outside the Iranian embassy in Berlin, hours after a U.S. air strike in Baghdad killed the 62-year-old general who was regarded as the second most powerful figure in Iran after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
The Germany spokesman for the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), Javad Dabiran told Reuters Television that his organisation demanded a "decisive policy" from the European Union against Iran's "terror regime."
Dabiran called Soleimani a "war criminal" and said the general was a key player in the crackdown of last November's demonstrations which left around 1,500 people dead.
(Production: Martin Schlicht, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None