- Title: Palestinian President Abbas calls Trump Mideast plan a "conspiracy"
- Date: 28th January 2020
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (JANUARY 28, 2020) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS SEATED AT PALESTINIAN LEADERSHIP MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS, SAYING: "I say to the partners Trump and Netanyahu: Jerusalem is not for sale, all our rights are not for sale and are not for bargain. And your deal, the conspiracy, will not pass." ABBAS AND PALESTINIAN OFFICIALS AT MEETING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS, SAYING: "What should I wait for? If Jerusalem is not part of it (a Palestinian state) will we accept a State without Jerusalem? It is impossible for any Palestinian, Muslim or Christian child to accept this. Therefore, we told them from the beginning, No!" ABBAS AND PALESTINIAN OFFICIALS AT MEETING
- Embargoed: 11th February 2020 21:38
- Keywords: Israel Jerusalem Middle East peace plan Palestinians President Donald Trump U.S West Bank protest
- Location: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- City: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001BY38T3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Tuesday (January 28) called U.S. President Donald Trump's Mideast peace plan a "conspiracy" and told him and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that his people's rights were "not for sale".
"I say to Trump and Netanyahu: Jerusalem is not for sale, all our rights are not for sale and are not for bargain. And your deal, the conspiracy, will not pass," Abbas said in a televised address in Ramallah in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.
Abbas's comments came after Trump proposed the creation of a Palestinian state with a capital in eastern Jerusalem, in an effort to achieve a peace breakthrough between the Palestinians and Israel.
(Production: Saed Hawari, Ismail Khader, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None