- Title: Israel-Gaza ceasefire takes hold after two-day flareup
- Date: 25th February 2020
- Summary: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (FEBRUARY 25, 2020) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS CHECKING RUBBLE AFTER ISRAELI AIRSTRIKES RUBBLE AFTER AIRSTRIKE PALESTINIANS REMOVING RUBBLE ELECTRICITY POLES GAZA ELECTRICITY TEAM INSPECTING ELECTRICITY POLES PALESTINIANS MOVING RUBBLE GAZA CITY, GAZA (FEBRUARY 25, 2020) (REUTERS) GAZA SEA, MINARETS OF MOSQUE AT SEASIDE VIEW OF GAZA PORT FISHING BOATS AT PORT PALESTINIANS WALKING ON SHORE SEA WAVES KEREM SHALOM CROSSING, GAZA (FEBRUARY 25, 2020) (REUTERS) COMMERCIAL CROSSING BETWEEN ISRAEL AND GAZA (KEREM SHALOM) CLOSED FUEL TANK DRIVING AWAY SIGN READING (Arabic): 'KARM ABU SALIM COMMERCIAL CROSSING'
- Embargoed: 10th March 2020 09:13
- Keywords: Gaza Islamic Jihad Israel Kerem Shalom commercial crossing ceasefire violence
- Location: GAZA CITY, KEREM SHALOM CROSSING AND KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, KEREM SHALOM CROSSING AND KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001C241553
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A ceasefire brokered by Egypt and the United Nations took hold on the Israel-Gaza border on Tuesday (February 25) after two days of fighting between Israel and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad group.
Islamic Jihad had fired 80 rockets towards Israeli communities along the Gaza border since Sunday, an Israeli military spokeswoman said, while Israel attacked sites in Gaza and Syria that killed three members of the militant group.
No casualties were reported on the Israeli side of the frontier and many of the rockets were intercepted by Israel's Iron Dome missile system.
Citing security concerns, the Israeli army kept Israel's border crossings with Gaza closed, except for humanitarian cases, and banned Palestinian fisherman from heading to sea.
The frontier fell quiet early on Tuesday, after a Palestinian official said Israel and Islamic Jihad had reached a "reciprocal and simultaneous ceasefire" mediated by Egypt and the United Nations.
The violence erupted on Sunday (February 23) when Israeli troops killed an Islamic Jihad member who the military said was trying to plant explosives near Israel's border fence with the Gaza Strip.
(Production: Abed Shana, Nihad Shana, Nuha Sharaf)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None