- Title: Six dead as coronavirus measures trigger prison riots across Italy
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) RELATIVES OF INMATES SHOUTING AT POLICEMEN OUTSIDE ROME'S REBIBBIA PRISON EXTERIOR OF REBIBBIA PRISON / SMOKE RISING MAN RUNNING / CARS LINED UP IN BLOCKED STREET / WOMAN SHOUTING AT CARS VARIOUS POLICEMEN AND CARABINIERI MILITARY POLICEMEN AT PRISON GATE MILAN, ITALY (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS CHECKING DOCUMENTS PEOPLE CARRYING LUGGAGE WAITING TO BE CHECKED BY POLICEMEN POLICEMAN AND TOURIST WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS TALKING POLICEMEN CHECKING DOCUMENTS MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK WALKING IN EMPTY STREET OF CENTRAL MILAN MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK LOOKING AT SMARTPHONE VARIOUS OF PILED UP TABLES OUTSIDE CLOSED RESTAURANT MAN INSIDE RESTAURANT WITH PROTECTIVE MASK ON HIS FOREHEAD LOOKING ON EMPTY TABLES EMPTY STREET EMPTY TABLES AND CHAIRS MAN WITH HIS MOUTH AND NOSE COVERED WITH SCARF WALKING IN FRONT OF EMPTY TABLES PEOPLE WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS AND TWO DOGS OUTSIDE BAR WOMAN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK WALKING MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK WALKING VIEW OF EMPTY SQUARE
- Keywords: Coronavirus Milan Rome deserted streets government decree prison inmates
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4C037R
- Location: ROME AND MILAN, ITALY
- City: ROME AND MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:03:03
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Six prisoners died as riots spread through crowded jails across Italy over measures imposed to contain the coronavirus.
Inmates, many angered by restrictions on family visits, went on the rampage and started fires from Sunday into Monday, authorities said. In one prison, inmates took guards hostage and in another some escaped.
By Monday afternoon, violence that started at the heart of the coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy had spread south, hitting more than 25 penitentiaries nationwide.
At Rome's Rebibbia prison angry relatives yelled at riot police and smoke rose from the prison building in a sign of the political pressures piling onto the government.
Policemen wearing protective masks checked paperwork for travellers moving out of the restricted zone at the Milan central station.
Faced with Europe's most serious outbreak of the highly contagious virus, Italy imposed strict controls on travel from the northern region of Lombardy and parts of neighbouring Veneto, Piedmont and Emilia-Romagna.
(Production: Yara Nardi, Daniele Mascolo, Alex Fraser, Manuel Silvestri, Gabriele Pileri, Fabiano Franchitti)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 16:11
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None