- Title: Madonna cancels final Paris dates over coronavirus rules
- Date: 9th March 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 9, 2020) (REUTERS) IMAGE OF MADONNA ON SCREEN EXTERIOR OF VENUE ROPES AROUND VENUE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MADONNA FAN FROM ANDORRA, ALEXANDRE BONAVOTA, SAYING: "We came to see Madonna's concert, Madame X. And we found out this morning that it wasn't certain that it was going to take place because of Coronavirus." (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MADONNA FAN FROM ANDORRA, ALBA BONAVATA, SAYING: "We don't know for sure because no one has confirmed it. We just found out from the papers that the authorities cancelled all gatherings of more than 1,000 people and here the capacity is 2,800." EXTERIOR OF VENUE VARIOUS OF ENTRANCE TO VENUE WITH SIGNS INDICATING DIFFERENT SEATING (SOUNDBITE) (English) MADONNA FAN FROM ROME, ITALY, DIEGO GIULIARINI, SAYING: "I will be sad but it would be not a problem (if the concert were cancelled). We comprehend the situation and a concert can be cancelled for every reason, maybe the artist has a problem or the place has a problem, like now we're in an emergency so it can happen." EXTERIOR OF VENUE POSTERS ON VENUE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ITALIAN MADONNA FAN WHO LIVES IN COPENHAGEN, DENMARK, CRISTINA RECCHIA, SAYING: "She said that most likely yesterday was going to be her last show here in Paris and that's why she really wanted to see all her fans one last time and she thanked all of us for being there because she's aware it's not the easiest time to travel and she was really appreciating." CLOSED DOORS PEOPLE WALKING AWAY
- Keywords: Grand Rex Madonna cancellation concert coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA004C4C09JH
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE / NEW YORK AND LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
- City: PARIS, FRANCE / NEW YORK AND LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:02:00
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Story Text: Madonna cancelled the final Paris dates of her Madame X tour on Monday (March 9) after French authorities banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people in an effort to stem the spread of coronavirus.
The star was meant to be performing on Tuesday and Wednesday at the Grand Rex in central Paris which has a capacity of 2,800 people, meaning it falls foul of new rules announced by French Health Minister Olivier on Sunday.
Fans turned up at the venue on Monday afternoon looking for information.
Some super fans had already seen the singer perform on previous nights and so were circumspect about the cancellation.
"We comprehend the situation and a concert can be cancelled for every reason," said Italian Diego Giuliarini who had already seen Madonna perform three times this year, adding he felt bad for his friends some of whom were coming from Peru and Las Vegas to see the star.
Previous dates on the tour had already been cancelled due to injury.
(Production: Isabel Lerouge, Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:23rd March 2020 16:05
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None