- Title: Citizens in coronavirus-free Cuba take no chances on virus' entry
- Date: 11th March 2020
- Summary: HAVANA, CUBA (MARCH 11, 2020) (REUTERS) WOMEN WEARING MASKS IN AIRPORT IMAGE OF REVOLUTIONARY CHE GUEVARA ON FLAG IN SOUVENIR SHOP WOMEN WEARING MASKS IN AIRPORT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN TRAVELING TO MEXICO, LIONILA ACEVEDO, SAYING: "The precautions are very good - all of the precautions they are taking are the exact ones so that the epidemic does not enter the country and for that reason we are preventing everything. Traveling calmly and returning calmly." GENERAL VIEW OF AIRPORT COMING UP THE ESCALATOR PASSENGERS WEARING MASKS AS THEY WAIT (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CUBAN WHO LIVES IN MEXICO, BEATRIZ SUAREZ, SAYING; "Television and the media are guiding the population, all the measures that must be taken, traveling only if necessary, as is our case, and taking all the precautionary measures. This may be one." VARIOUS OF PASSENGERS WAITING, WEARING MASKS MAN PUTTING ON MASK VARIOUS OF AIRPORT WORKER WEARING MASK (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) AIRPORT TAXI DRIVER, JORGE FELIX, SAYING: "Two of us drive the car. We have masks to use and not be too close to people, the foreigners, not cough, try to protect ourselves." SEAMSTRESS SEWING MASK GENERAL VIEW OF SEAMSTRESSES SEWING MASKS IN WORKSHOP SEAMSTRESS TRYING ON MASK VENDOR LOOKING AT MASKS VENDOR TRYING ON MASK (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MANAGER OF TEXTILE WORKSHOP, SUSANA NAVARRO, SAYING: "Everything possible is being done although if we can do more, we will. And we are working on making enough for the population, to have an assortment that allows the people to have the masks so that everyone who wants one can have it and carry it with them." SEAMSTRESS SEWING MASK PAN OF SEAMSTRESSES SEWING MASKS
- Keywords: COVID-19 coronavirus face masks hand washing measures quarantine
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4M0DVR
- Location: HAVANA AND HOLGUIN, CUBA
- City: HAVANA AND HOLGUIN, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Duration: 00:02:56
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents
- Story Text: The Cuban government declared on Wednesday (March 11) that the country has not yet registered any cases of coronavirus, but that didn't stop Cubans from donning face masks while three seamstresses in a tiny makeshift sewing workshop battle the virus by producing piles of masks.
In the airport, passengers were seen wearing masks as they waited for flights. Cuban Lionila Acevedo said the government has been taking important precautions that have so far prevented the virus from entering the country. And Beatriz Suarez, a Cuban living in Mexico, said the local media has been saturated with information and suggested measures for people to take.
Meanwhile, the Cuban government has said it has set up "specialized hospital centers" to face the coronavirus. On Wednesday, Health Minister Jose Angel Portal, said that the country is monitoring several potential cases, but no one has registered an official case of COVID-19 yet.
(Production: Rodrigo Gutierrez, Mario Fuentes, Nelson Gonzalez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th March 2020 18:25
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None