Guitars at the window, Rome switches aperitivo for balcony song in nationwide â€˜flash mobâ€™Record ID: 1463739
- Title: Guitars at the window, Rome switches aperitivo for balcony song in nationwide â€˜flash mobâ€™
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) FAMILY AT WINDOW WITH GUITAR SINGING AS PART OF NATIONWIDE FLASH MOB VARIOUS OF MAN PLAYING GUITAR AT WINDOW DURING NATIONAL ANTHEM PEOPLE SINGING AT THEIR WINDOWS DURING FLASH MOB ELDERLY MAN AND WOMAN SINGING NATIONAL ANTHEM FROM THEIR BALCONY PEOPLE IN BALCONIES OF STREET MAKING LOTS OF NOISE SINGING AND CLANGING SAUCEPANS DURING FLASH MOB WOMAN IN PROTECTIVE MASK WALKING DOWN STREET AS MUSIC BLARES DURING FLASH MOB PEOPLE AT WINDOWS SINGING NATIONAL ANTHEM
- Keywords: Italy Tutto andrÃ bene banners banners of hope coronavirus coronavirus outbreak in Italy everything will be alright flashmob lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4VZWW7
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- City: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:41
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The San Lorenzo and Pigneto districts of Rome are usually buzzing with university students drowning their sorrows with aperitivo on a Friday night, but under lockdown on March 13, instead the only sound was of the national anthem blaring from windows as Italians up and down the country came together for a 'flash mob' to raise morale in an increasingly difficult time.
No-one is allowed outside in the countrywide coronavirus lockdown - people can only move around for work, health needs or emergencies and anyone outside must keep a distance of at least one metre.
But on Friday (March 13) evening at 6:00 p.m. (1700 GMT), Italians found an alternative way of enjoying the end of a week stuck at home - by taking to their windows and balconies playing instruments, singing and clapping together to try and bring some hope to the end of a tough week.
The national anthem 'Fratelli d'Italia' was blared out of speakers up and down the country and families sang along cheering from their balconies, clanging together saucepans, for a moment of respite.
The flashmob was organised on social media spread through WhatsApp.
(Production: Yara Nardi, Guglielmo Mangiapane, Cristiano Corvino, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 18:47
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.