Spain's famous Alhambra palace does not escape from coronavirus, closes to publicRecord ID: 1463746
- Title: Spain's famous Alhambra palace does not escape from coronavirus, closes to public
- Date: 13th March 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MAN PLAYING GUITAR AT SAN NICOLAS VIEWPOINT, LA ALHAMBRA PALACE IN THE BACKGROUND
- Keywords: Alhambra Andalusia Granada Spain coronavirus coronavirus outbreak mosque
- Reuters ID: LVA002C4VYFYF
- Location: GRANADA, SPAIN
- City: GRANADA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:00:13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: One of SpainÂ´s most famous tourist spots, La Alhambra palace, closed on Friday (March 13) to the public after a rebound in positive cases in the southern city of Granada, the entity itself announced on social media.
"As a preventive measure, we will remain closed to the public from tomorrow, March 13" they published on Twitter on Thursday (March 12).
Andalusian government head, Juanma Moreno, confirmed they will close schools from next Monday (March 16), as well as other activities and regional museums.
The monument, whose first historical documents known date from the 9th century, received in 2019 more than 2.7 million visitors, according to regional data.
So far there are 219 positive cases of coronavirus in the region of Andalusia.
Spain said it would declare a 15-day state of emergency from Saturday (March 14), signaling a sharp escalation in its fight against the coronavirus, as some regions shut shops and church authorities canceled at least two Easter parades.
Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the number of cases could top 10,000 by next week - more than double the current level - and asked citizens to play their part.
(Production: Jon Nazca, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:27th March 2020 17:11
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.