- Title: Water cannon, tear gas and rocks. Violent protests agitate Santiago
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (MARCH 13, 2020) (REUTERS) STUDENT PROTESTERS WALKING DOWN STREET WATER CANNON USED ON PROTESTERS VARIOUS, STUDENT PROTESTERS WALKING DOWN STREET POLICE WATER CANNON VEHICLE IN FLAMES AFTER BEING TORCHED BY MOLOTOV COCKTAILS RIOT POLICE WALKING DOWN STREET VARIOUS, PROTESTERS THROWING ROCKS IN DIRECTION OF RIOT POLICE RIOT POLICE KICKING TEAR GAS VARIOUS, POLICE DETAINING PROTESTER WATER CANNON USED ON PROTESTERS PROTESTERS THROWING ROCKS IN DIRECTION OF WATER CANNON PROTESTER THROWING TEAR GAS IN DIRECTION OF RIOT POLICE WATER CANNON USED ON PROTESTERS RIOT POLICE ON HORSEBACK AND PROTESTERS THROWING ROCKS PROTESTERS THROWING ROCKS IN DIRECTION OF WATER CANNON RIOT POLICE SHIELDING AND PROTESTERS THROWING ROCKS RIOT POLICE ON HORSEBACK STUDENT PROTESTERS WALKING DOWN STREET AND A SIGN THAT READS (Spanish) "THE RIGHT TO BREATHE IS PEACE" VARIOUS, PROTESTERS ON TOP OF A BURNED BUS CHANTING SLOGANS PROTESTERS GATHERING PROTESTER HOLDING A DOG FIGURE AND A SIGN THAT READS (Spanish) "WE DESERVE DIGNITY" VARIOUS, PROTESTERS GATHERED BY MONUMENT
- Keywords: Chile President Sebastian Pinera Santiago protests violence
- Reuters ID: LVA001C4W1DTZ
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Duration: 00:02:59
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Protesters clashed with security forces in Santiago as an anti-government protest flared up on Friday (March 13).
A water cannon vehicle doused protesters who threw items at police vehicles in the Chilean capital.
Since October, Chile has been rocked by protests that started over a hike in public transport fares and broadened to include calls for better pensions, healthcare and education. Organizers now want to revive the protest movement to put pressure on the government.
On December 23, Chilean President Sebastian Pinera signed off on a referendum to be held on a new constitution, which he vowed would generate a "solid, compassionate and legitimate framework" that would help reunify the country after months of intense protests over inequality and elitism.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 01:50
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None