- Title: Germany closes its border to France
- Date: 16th March 2020
- Summary: KEHL, GERMANY (MARCH 16, 2020) (REUTERS) VEHICLES ON ROAD VARIOUS OF SIGN READING (German): "FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY" POLICE LIGHT ON TRAFFIC PYLON VARIOUS OF GERMAN AUTHORITIES POLICE AND WOMAN ON BICYCLE VARIOUS OF POLICE VEHICLES VARIOUS OF VEHICLES ON ROAD KEHL ROADSIGN SEMI-TRUCK / RHINE RIVER
- Keywords: Coronavirus borders
- Reuters ID: LVA001C5AV9L3
- Location: KEHL, GERMANY
- City: KEHL, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:01:18
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Germany has temporarily introduced border controls on its frontier with France on Monday (March 16) morning, as well as with Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Denmark as the country seeks to curb a rapid spread of coronavirus.
Germany is facing an aggressive progression of the illness, Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said on Sunday.
As of Sunday, there were 4,838 cases of coronavirus in Germany, with 12 deaths, the Robert Koch Institute for infectious diseases said. That was a sharp rise from 3,795 confirmed cases, with eight deaths, a day earlier.
Schools and nurseries across the country are closing this week until after the Easter holidays at the end of April.
Hamburg on Sunday joined Berlin and Cologne in closing all bars, clubs, cinemas, theatres and concert halls.
(Production: Hakan Erdem, Barbara Woolsey)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th March 2020 08:44
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None