- Title: Stocks plunge, dollar slides as Fed's emergency cut spooks investors
- Date: 16th March 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (MARCH 16, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING NIKKEI 225 INDEX OPENING AT 17,586.08 VARIOUS OF NIKKEI 225 INDEX MOVEMENTS TOPIX INDEX MOVEMENTS/ NIKKEI 225 INDEX MOVEMENTS ELECTRONIC BOARD SCREEN SHOWING STOCK PRICE VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC TICKER SHOWING STOCK PRICES ELECTRONIC MONITOR SHOWING NIKKEI 225 MOVEMENTS OUTSIDE HONG KONG, CHINA (MARCH 16, 2020) (REUTERS) HONG KONG CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT CHINESE, HONG KONG AND HONG KONG STOCK EXCHANGE FLAGS FLYING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ON FOOTBRIDGE WITH FACE MASKS ON VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE/ SCREENS SHOWING STOCK PRICES SCREEN SHOWING HANG SENG INDEX OPENING AT 23317.81 POINTS SCREEN SHOWING HANG SENG INDEX VARIOUS OF STAFF WORKING SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (MARCH 16, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEDESTRIANS CROSSING ROAD/ TRAFFIC ON STREET INTERIOR OF DEALING ROOM AT KEB HANA BANK ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING KOREA COMPOSITE STOCK PRICE INDEX (KOSPI) VARIOUS OF DEALERS WORKING SCREEN SHOWING KOSPI AND USD/KRW EXCHANGE RATE DEALER LOOKING AT HIS SCREEN DEALER STANDING IN FRONT OF SCREEN DEALERS WORKING
- Keywords: Asia KOSPI Nikkei 225 South Korea Topix market open markets stocks
- Reuters ID: LVA001C5AUMO7
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN/ HONG KONG, CHINA / SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN/ HONG KONG, CHINA / SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA
- Country: Various
- Duration: 00:02:53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets
- Story Text: Asian stock markets and the dollar were roiled on Monday (March 16) after the U.S. Federal Reserve slashed interest rates in an emergency move and its major peers offered cheap U.S. dollars to break a logjam in global lending markets.
The Fed's rate cut combined with the promise of more bond buying pushed U.S. 10-year Treasury yields down sharply to 0.66%, from 0.95% late on Friday (March 13).
Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 opened up 0.89 percent at 17,586.08, while the broader Topix gained 0.53 percent at 1,268.39 points.
Hong Kong stock market opened low with the benchmark Hang Seng Index down 2.98 percent at 23317.81 points.
In South Korea, shares fluctuated with the Korea Composite Stock Price Index (KOSPI) opened up at 20.65 points at 1.17 percent, but was down 3.47 points at 0.20 percent by 0008 GMT.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Akiko Okamoto, Minwoo Park, Joyce Zhou)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th March 2020 04:23
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None