- Title: Spanish military monitors Madrid streets amid coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF MEMBERS OF SPANISH MILITARY EMERGENCY UNIT (UME) DRIVING IN VEHICLE ALONG STREETS SPANISH MILITARY EMERGENCY UNIT (UME) VEHICLE DRIVING IN STREET AND COMING TO A STOP VEHICLE DRIVING ON VARIOUS OF VEHICLE DRIVING PAST PLAZA DE CIBELES ROAD / SPANISH MILITARY EMERGENCY UNIT (UME) VEHICLE PARKED BY BUILDING MEMBERS OF SPANISH MILITARY EMERGENCY UNIT (UME) STANDING BY PARKED VEHICLE SPANISH MILITARY EMERGENCY UNIT (UME) VEHICLE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ARMY SERGEANT MENSAYAS, SAYING: "In the end, giving security means, giving security to all Spanish citizens, in this case Madrid citizens, where we are. So that they know the state of emergency in which we are, and they know that is better to stay at home rather than on the street." VARIOUS OF VEHICLE DRIVING IN STREET VEHICLE COMING TO A STOP AT STOPLIGHT VARIOUS OF VEHICLE DRIVING IN STREET
- Keywords: Spain Spanish military emergency unit UME coronavirus lockdown virus epidemic
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55YGCN
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:03:43
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:The Spanish military emergency unit (UME) monitored the streets of Madrid on Sunday night (March 15), after the country clamped down during a coronavirus outbreak that saw deaths more than double overnight.
The government's official coronavirus death toll rose by 152 overnight to 288. The number of infected rose by 2,000 cases to 7,753.
Spaniards have been housebound by law since Saturday (March 14). Schools across the country are closed, keeping millions of children at home. Social gatherings are banned.
The sudden Spanish lockdown, along with similarly abrupt moves to curtail public life in France, has astonished Western Europe this weekend, as countries follow Italy in imposing restrictions unseen in peacetime.
(Production: Raul Cadenas, Silvio Castellanos, Elena Rodriguez, Iona Serrapica, Helena Williams)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th March 2020 00:14
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None