- Title: Palestinian city streets lie empty after more restrictions on movement
- Date: 19th March 2020
- Summary: BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (MARCH 19, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TOWN OF BEIT SAHOUR AS SEEN FROM BETHLEHEM, NO MOVEMENT SEEN IN THE STREETS BEIT SAHOUR, WEST BANK (MARCH 19, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EMPTY STREETS CROSS OVER CHURCH VARIOUS OF MAN WORKING, HAZIM SHIHADA, IN SHOP FOR VEGETABLES AND FRUITS WORKING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAN WORKING, IN SHOP FOR VEGETABLES AND FRUITS, HAZIM SHIHADA, SAYING: "The city is locked down and we are helping the residents, we are sending them products to their homes. We buy from the main market and help the people so they don't have to go out of their homes." DRIVING SHOT IN EMPTY STREET, SIGN SAYING "I LOVE BEIT SAHOUR" BETHLEHEM, WEST BANK (MARCH 19, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY, EMPTY MANGER SQUARE CROSS OVER CHURCH CLOSED DOOR OF CHURCH DRIVING SHOT THROUGH BETHLEHEM'S OLD CITY, CLOSED SHOPS, EMPTY STREET
- Embargoed: 2nd April 2020 15:50
- Keywords: Coronavirus Israel Palestinians Settlements
- Location: RAMALLAH, BETHLEHEM, BEIT SAHOUR, WEST BANK
- City: RAMALLAH, BETHLEHEM, BEIT SAHOUR, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA003C5PX3D3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians woke up on Thursday (March 19) to face more restrictions on their movement in the Israeli-occupied West Bank Bethlehem.
The Palestinian Authority has imposed curfews in Bethlehem and other West Bank cities under its control. It has given workers with jobs in Israel until March 22 to find housing there, after which the PA intends to ban cross-border travel.
In a televised statement on Wednesday (March 18), Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh announced tighter restrictions on the movements of Palestinians, saying no one could enter or leave the biblical town of Bethlehem and that its residents must remain indoors.
Bethlehem and nearby towns have been on lock-down for more than two weeks.
Palestinian health officials have confirmed 47 cases of coronavirus infection. None has been detected in the Gaza Strip, where Israel and Egypt enforce tight border restrictions.
(Production: Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None