- Title: From daiquiri to antiseptic: Bacardi cranks up sanitizer production
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS VIA ZOOM) (SOUNDBITE) (English) BACARDI LATIN AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN, VP, SUPPLY CHAIN & MANUFACTURING, JOSE CLASS, SAYING: "There is a need, and it runs in our veins, in Bacardi, as a family-oriented company, to take care of each other. This is not the first time that we do this. Unfortunately, and fortunately, both things at the same time, I was also the person in charge of the facility when Hurricane Maria happened almost three years ago. So, this is something that we know how to do. And when we saw that there was an opportunity to be able to help under these circumstances, we just needed a partner. And we were grateful also enough that we were able to find Olein corporation, a Puerto Rican company in the southeast of the island, to be able to complete the process (of making hand sanitizer)."
- Keywords: Bacardi sanitizer COVID-19 Honeywell masks coronavirus crisis emergency glasses health production
- Reuters ID: LVA002C69XN47
- Location: CATAÃ‘O, PUERTO RICO + MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATIONS
- City: CATAÃ‘O, PUERTO RICO + MIAMI, FLORIDA, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:55
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Story Text:Honeywell ramped up production of N95 masks in its facility in Smithfield, Rhode Island, to support of the U.S. government's response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the company said in a statement on Sunday (March 22).
The same facility also produces UVEX safety glasses used by health professionals treating coronavirus patients.
In another effort to help fight COVID-19, alcoholic beverage maker, Bacardi Corporation, shifted production last Tuesday (March 17) to make the main component of hand sanitizer, ethanol, at one of its largest rum distilleries in CataÃ±o, Puerto Rico, a US territory.
The distillery teamed up with Olein Refinery to provide raw materials and ethanol required to make hand sanitizer.
(Production: Aleksandra Michalska and Dan Fastenberg)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 19:31
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None