- Title: FDA approves Genentech's drug to fight COVID-19-related pneumonia
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS VIA GOOGLE HANGOUTS) (SOUNDBITE) (ENGLISH) GENENTECH, CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER AND HEAD OF GLOBAL PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, LEVI GARRAWAY, M.D., PH.D., SAYING: "Well, the hope would be that at Actemra would maybe prevent patients who have the pneumonia from going into severe respiratory compromise. Maybe they would be prevented from needing to go on a ventilator. And of course, that would then, not only hopefully help them survive if they were otherwise at risk for dying, but also it could help preserve ventilators for patients who really might need it. So, if patients who have pneumonia, if we could reduce the risk that they might need additional respiratory support in the hospital, that would also be very important, both for the patients and for our overall health system."
- Keywords: Actemra Genentech Global Product Development Levi Garraway Roche Group U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) clinical trial
- Reuters ID: LVA004C69XMBR
- Location: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:38
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Company News Markets,Economic Events
- Story Text: The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) approved clinical trial of Genentech's Actemra on Monday (March 23).
Actemra is being tested for use to care for hospitalized adult patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia.
Additionally, Genentech said would provide 10,000 vials of Actemra to the U.S. Strategic National Stockpile for potential future use at the direction of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
(Production: Aleksandra Michalska)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 22:22
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None