- Title: Palestinians stay home in a bid to fight coronavirus spread
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) BIRDS ON EMPTY ROAD STREET STATUE, PALESTINIAN FLAG EMPTY STREET, CLOSED SHOPS POLICEMEN BLOCKING STREET SIGN READING IN (Arabic): 'POLICE' EMPTY STREET POLICEMEN IN STREET VARIOUS OF MUNICIPALITY WORKERS CLEANING STREET (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) 35-YEAR-OLD PALESTINIAN RESIDENT OF RAMALLAH, FARIS NABULSI, SAYING: "The steps done by the Palestinian authorities are great, I hope that this disease stays away from us. We thank President Mohamoud Abbas who gave the orders. We thank God that the situation is not bad, we don't have a lot of cases in the West Bank. Palestine is a Holy Land, I hope to God to keep this disease away so we can be over it." HEBRON, WEST BANK (MARCH 22, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PALESTINIAN POLICEMAN USING LOUDSPEAKERS TO CALL ON PEOPLE TO STAY HOME WHERE IT IS SAFER FOR THEM POLICE DEPLOYMENT IN STREETS POLICE BLOCKING STREET SECURITY MAN DIRECTING TRAFFIC HEBRON, WEST BANK (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN SECURITY BLOCKING STREET VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN SECURITY CHECKING VEHICLES VARIOUS OF EMPTY STREET, CLOSED SHOPS POLICE CHECKING TAXI VARIOUS OF CLOSED SHOPS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF HEBRON, MOHAMMED HASHLAMON, SAYING: "The step of imposing curfew is very good because we can learn from others who didn't care (and see) what happened to them. I support this step and call on the people to commit and not leave their homes unless it is very urgent." GAZA CITY, GAZA (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VEHICLES IN STREET (SOUDNBITE) (Arabic) 53-YEAR-OLD GAZA RESIDENT, FUAD ZUHUD, SAYING: "Coronavirus is a normal thing, we have been through worst crisis, I am not afraid of it." EXTERIORS OF SCHOOL TURNED INTO A QUARANTINE CENTRE (NIGHT SHOTS) AMBULANCES, MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE SUIT NEAR QUARANTINE CENTRE EXTERIORS OF CENTRE SECURITY MEN IN VEHICLES, USING LOUDSPEAKERS TO CALL ON PEOPLE TO RESTRICT THEIR MOVEMENT
- Keywords: Gaza Health Palestinians West Bank coronavirus empty streets
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69VN7R
- Location: RAMALLAH AND HEBRON, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: RAMALLAH AND HEBRON, WEST BANK / GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Occupied Territory
- Duration: 00:03:49
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Palestinians stayed away from the streets on Monday (March 23) after Prime Minister Mohammed Shtayyeh ordered residents in the Israeli-occupied West Bank be confined to their homes for two weeks as a precaution against the spread of coronavirus.
Shtayyeh said that medical personnel, pharmacists, grocers and bakers would be exempt from the ordered, delivered on live television broadcast.
Palestinian police blocked the streets in the West Bank cities of Ramallah and Hebron and checked vehicles to make sure they abide by the new movement restrictions.
In the densely populated Gaza Strip, two first coronavirus cases were announced on Sunday (March 22).
Schools, public markets and event halls have all been shut in Gaza over the past two weeks to minimise the risk of coronavirus transmission.
The Palestinian health ministry listed 59 confirmed coronavirus cases in the West Bank.
(Production: Saed Hawari, Yusri Al-Jamal, Mamoun Wazwaz, Mohammed Shana, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 10:36
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None