- Title: Japanese in favour of postponing Olympics amid virus epidemic
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) PEDESTRIANS WALKING IN FRONT OF SHINJUKU STATION (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 20-YEAR-OLD UNIVERSITY STUDENT, YUTA SUZUKI, SAYING: "I think it's better to postpone (the Olympic Games) and be flexible to avoid spreading the virus. It (the Olympics) gathers people from all over the world." PEDESTRIANS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 16-YEAR-OLD HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, MIYUU TANAKA, SAYING: "I think if we go ahead with the Games, it will end up being compromised because of the coronavirus. Huge efforts for preparation have been done so I hope it will be held in a good way. I think it's a reasonable idea to postpone it." PEDESTRIANS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 16-YEAR-OLD HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, TOMOKA TAKAHASHI, SAYING: "If the Games are held as planned and visitors to Japan gets infected with the coronavirus, it would create a bad image for Japan. I think it is better to postpone because it should start in a good condition." PEDESTRIANS WEARING FACE MASK WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 62-YEAR-OLD HOMEMAKER, YUKO KOBAYASHI, SAYING: "I wish it (Olympics) will be held next year." PEDESTRIANS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 38-YEAR-OLD COMPANY EMPLOYEE, HIROSHI TSUNEKUNI, SAYING: "When the marathon was moved to Sapporo, they (Japanese officials) could have said 'then we won't hold the Olympics'. Japan needs to show a stronger leadership but they are just doing what they're told. So I think Japan will again just do what they're told on this subject of cancelling or postponing." BUILDINGS AT SHINJUKU STATION
- Keywords: Japan Tokyo Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics new coronavirus postponing
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69TMIV
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Duration: 00:02:00
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Story Text:Tokyo locals favoured the idea of postponing the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe hinted that postponing may become an option amid the coronavirus outbreak on Monday (March 23).
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said on Sunday (March 22) after an emergency meeting that it is stepping up its "scenario planning" for the 2020 Games due to start on July 24, including a possible postponement.
"I think it's better to postpone and be flexible," said 20-year-old university student Yuta Suzuki who thinks the virus will spread further if people from around the world gather in one place.
High school student Tomoka Takahashi was concerned about the repercussions on Japan if the pandemic gets worst during the planned Olympics.
"If visitors to Japan (during the Games) gets infected with the coronavirus, it would create a bad image for Japan," she said.
Meanwhile, 38-year-old company employee Hiroshi Tsunekuni showed frustration over how the Japanese government has been handling the situation.
"Japan needs to show a stronger leadership but they are just doing what they're told. So I think Japan will again just do what they're told on this subject of cancelling or postponing," he said.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Hideto Sakai, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 09:50
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None