- Title: Helicopter brings French coronavirus patient to German hospital
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: MANNHEIM, GERMANY (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF HELICOPTER CARRYING FRENCH CORONAVIRUS PATIENT LANDING ON HOSPITAL ROOF MEDICAL STAFF WAITING INSIDE HOSPITAL SENIOR INTENSIVE CARE DOCTOR THOMAS KIRSCHNING WAITING SIGN READING (German) "NO UNAUTHORISED ACCESS TO HELIPAD! DANGER OF DEATH! ACCESS TO RESCUE HELICOPTER WHILE BLADES ARE ROTATING STRICTLY FORBIDDEN." HELICOPTER ROTOR MEDICAL STAFF WHEELING STRETCHER TO HELICOPTER HELICOPTER PILOT VARIOUS OF MEDICAL STAFF WHEELING PATIENT FROM HELICOPTER INTO HOSPITAL SIGN PROMOTING HAND-WASHING KIRSCHNING TALKING TO REPORTER (SOUNDBITE) (German) SENIOR INTENSIVE CARE DOCTOR, THOMAS KIRSCHNING, SAYING: "We have just received a 64-year-old patient by helicopter directly from Colmar in the Alsace region of France. He has been receiving treatment there for a week and his condition is improving but he has been moved because they don't have enough intensive care beds." SIGN READING (German) "NO GERMS. HEALTH PROTECTION IN THE 21ST CENTURY" (SOUNDBITE) (German) SENIOR INTENSIVE CARE DOCTOR, THOMAS KIRSCHNING, SAYING: "Our French colleagues are currently under excessive strain with the COVID patients they are receiving. And in our neighbour's hour of need we are pleased to do our bit in the spirit of European cooperation, and help out by taking on these patients, as an act of humanity." SIGN "HEALTH PROTECTION IN THE 21ST CENTURY" (SOUNDBITE) (German) SENIOR INTENSIVE CARE DOCTOR, THOMAS KIRSCHNING, SAYING: "Currently we have the advantage that we still have capacity and can prepare ourselves for a potential wave of cases. We have set up an intensive care ward which can take on extra patients and at the moment there are three patients on the ward, so we still have more capacity." KIRCHNING SPEAKER TO REPORTER VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF HOSPITAL
- Keywords: French patient ICU bed coronavirus helicopter hospital ventilation
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EUDZB
- Location: MANNHEIM, GERMANY
- City: MANNHEIM, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:02:54
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:A coronavirus patient from the Alsace region of France was brought to a German hospital by helicopter on Tuesday (March 24), one of 10 being taken in by the south-western German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.
The patient was flown from hospital in the eastern French city of Colmar, one of several where doctors have warned that the healthcare system is at breaking point.
The 64-year-old has been receiving treatment for a week in and his condition is improving, a senior doctor at Mannheim university hospital told Reuters. He would be treated on a new intensive care ward set up to deal with the coronavirus crisis.
Baden-Wuerttemberg's state science ministry has said help will be offered for only as long as intensive-care beds are not needed by patients in closer vicinity.
Two other German states, Rhineland-Palatinate and Saarland, and three Swiss cantons are also joining in the effort to care for French patients.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 19:55
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None