- Title: Siberian nuns take unorthodox approach to tackling coronavirus
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) ALEXANDER NEVSKY CATHEDRAL CEILING PRIEST SWINGING INCENSE BURNER VARIOUS OF CHURCHGOERS CROSSING THEMSELVES VARIOUS OF PRIEST SWINGING INCENSE BURNER CATHEDRAL CEILING, SERVICE IN PROGRESS
- Keywords: COVID-19 Ekaterinburg Orthodox Church Russia coronavirus incense nuns
- Reuters ID: LVA002C6EW8C9
- Location: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA
- City: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:00:46
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Nuns at the Novo-Tikhvinsky Convent in the Russian Urals city of Yekaterinburg have taken an unorthodox approach to tackling the coronavirus pandemic by producing their own incense.
"We switched to using essential oils that have special anti-viral properties," Novo-Tikhvinsky Convent nun Evstafiya said.
The incense, which comprises geranium, lavender lemon and basil, is now being used during services at the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and is available to buy for home use at the cathedral shop.
One churchgoer, Lyudmila, said she did not know whether the incense would work, but thought it was good the church was taking steps to tackle coronavirus.
Russia has recorded 438 cases of the coronavirus and one death.
(Production: Alexander Pugachev, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 14:57
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.