- Title: Asterix's second "father" Uderzo dies at 92
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - OCTOBER 27, 2009) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS) CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE (ALSO CALLED AN OBELISK) AND OBELIX'S MENHIR, EIFFEL TOWER IN THE BACKGROUND SIGN ON BOTTOM OF CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE READING (French): "OBELIX'S QUARRY" READING (French): "SOUVENIR FROM EGYPT" / TOP OF CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE HIEROGLYPHICS ON CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE UDERZO POINTING TO THE MONUMENT ASTERIX AND OBELIX CARTOONS PASTED ON THE MONUMENT (SOUNDBITE) (French) THEN CARTOONIST AND CO-CREATOR OF ASTERIX ALBERT UDERZO, SAYING: "It's wonderful, it's prodigious." ASTERIX CARTOON ON MONUMENT OBELIX'S MENHIR UDERZO RIDING IN AN OPEN TOP BUS RIVER SEINE UDERZO LOOKING OUT OF THE BUS UDERZO WALKING STACK OF GAULOIS HELMETS ON THE GROUND UDERZO ADMIRING THE HELMETS GAULOIS HELMETS STACKED AROUND A POLE ORIGINAL ASTERIX CARTOON STRIPS / UDERZO TALKING ABOUT THE STRIP SAYING HE ENJOYED CREATING IT VARIOUS OF ORIGINAL ASTERIX DRAWINGS AND UDERZO TALKING ABOUT THEM PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - OCTOBER 24, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF "ASTERIX AND THE CHIEFTAIN'S DAUGHTER" - THE LAST OPUS OF THE SERIES - ON SALE IN BOOKSTORE
- Keywords: Albert Uderzo Asterix Obelix Rene Goscinny comic death
- Reuters ID: LVA003C6EVADJ
- Location: PARIS AND PLAILLY, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND PLAILLY, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:02:08
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Books,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Albert Uderzo, illustrator and co-creator of the famous comic series "Asterix and Obelix ," died on Tuesday (March 24), aged 92, his family said.
Uderzo "died in his sleep at his home in Neuilly (western Paris), after a heart attack that was not linked to the coronavirus. He had been extremely tired for the past several weeks," his son-in-law Bernard de Choisy told Agence France Presse.
Uderzo and author Rene Goscinny are known as the "fathers" of the French comic series about a small village of Gauls who stand up to Roman occupiers.
Uderzo was initially the illustrator of the comic strip written by Goscinny, who died in 1977.
After Goscinny's death, Uderzo wrote and illustrated the series until he retired in 2009. Since then, three further books have been written by Jean-Yves Ferri and drawn by Didier Conrad, sticking closely to the original format. The last one, "Asterix and the Chieftain's Daughter", was released in October last year.
Asterix, the moustachioed hero, who has been entertaining readers with his magic-potion exploits alongside Obelix since 1959, has become a mainstay in the publishing industry, with more than 370 million albums sold worldwide.
(Production Hortense de Roffignac)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 12:12
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None