- Title: Asian markets tread cautiously ahead of U.S. stimulus, jobs
- Date: 26th March 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (MARCH 26, 2020) (REUTERS) ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING ANIMATION BEFORE OPENING/ INDEX AND STOCK PRICES MOVEMENTS AT OPENING VARIOUS OF NIKKEI 225 INDEX MOVEMENTS VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING STOCK PRICES MOVEMENTS VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC TICKER SHOWING STOCK PRICES DESKS AT TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE STAFF WORKING EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE SIGN READING (English): "JPX TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE" HONG KONG, CHINA (MARCH 26, 2020) (REUTERS) HONG KONG CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT CHINESE, HONG KONG AND HONG KONG STOCK EXCHANGE FLAGS FLYING VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE, SCREENS SHOWING STOCK PRICES VARIOUS OF TRADERS WORKING VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING HANG SENG INDEX OPENING AT 23329.92 POINTS EXTERIOR OF HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE BRONZE BULLS STATUES SHANGHAI, CHINA (MARCH 26, 2020) (REUTERS) ELECTRONIC TICKER BOARD IN FRONT OT PEARL TOWER VARIOUS OF ELECTRONIC TICKER BOARD SHOWING SHANGHAI COMPOSITE INDEX AND SHENZHEN COMPONENT INDEX SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (MARCH 26, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC ON SEOUL STREET/PEOPLE CROSSING ROAD INTERIOR OF DEALING ROOM AT KEB HANA BANK ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING KOREA COMPOSITE STOCK PRICE INDEX (KOSPI) OPENING VARIOUS OF DEALERS WORKING ELECTRONIC TICKER SHOWING KOSPI AND KOREA SECURITIES DEALERS AUTOMATED QUOTATION (KOSDAQ) DEALERS WORKING ELECTRONIC BOARDS SHOWING KOSPI AND USD/KRW EXCHANGE RATE DEALERS WORKING
- Keywords: Asia Japan KOSPI Nikkei 225 index South Korea Tokyo Stock Exchange opening stock market
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6OSTHJ
- Location: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/ TOKYO, JAPAN/ HONG KONG, SHANGHAI, CHINA
- City: SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA/ TOKYO, JAPAN/ HONG KONG, SHANGHAI, CHINA
- Country: Various
- Duration: 00:03:43
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Economic Events,Equities Markets
- Story Text:Asian stock markets made a cautious start on Thursday (March 26) following two days of rallies, as investors await the passage and details of a $2 trillion stimulus package in the United States to combat the economic fallout from the coronavirus.
In Japan, the benchmark Nikkei 225 opened down 1.60% to 19,234.77 points.
Hong Kong's Hang Seng dropped 0.84% to 23,329.92 points.
The Shanghai Composite slipped 0.07% to 2,761.90 points.
But South Korea bucked the trend, with the KOSPI up 1.36% to 1,727.87 points as of 0023 GMT.
The money at stake in the stimulus bill amounts to nearly half of the $4.7 trillion the U.S. government spends annually.
But it also comes against a backdrop of bad news as the coronavirus spreads and as jobless claims are set to soar, with both expected to test the nascent bounce in markets this week.
(Production: Minwoo Park, Yasuteru Ueda, Hideto Sakai, Joyce Zhou, Jiang Xihao)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th April 2020 04:40
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None