- Title: Health staff pay tribute to collegue who passed away from coronavirus in Madrid
- Date: 13th April 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) NURSING ASSISTANT AT SEVERO OCHOA HOSPITAL, MAR MORALES, SAYING: "Well, with much desperation, desperation because of the patients, desperation because of our work, sometimes we see ourselves a little defenseless, without adequate protective equipment in certain occasions, in most of them, and suffering a lot because of our families. I work as an assistant but my mother is in the intensive care unit with coronavirus. We are workers but at the same time we are relatives of patients we cannot see."
- Embargoed: 27th April 2020 13:06
- Keywords: COVID-19 coronavirus health workers tribute hospital
- Location: LEGANES, SPAIN
- City: LEGANES, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA003C9BR03R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dozens of health workers paid tribute on Monday (April 13) to a colleague who passed away from coronavirus in Madrid.
The staff of the Severo Ochoa hospital gathered outside the building fought back tears and applauded as a tribute to a 57-year-old surgical nurse who died on Friday (April 10) after becoming infected with the virus.
He was the third confirmed medical worker who passed away from coronavirus in Madrid.
After a month of lockdown, health workers remarked the "desperation" they are feeling as the physical and mental stress keeps on with thousands of patients with the virus.
Spain's cumulative death toll from the coronavirus rose to 17,489 on Monday, up 517 from 16,972 on Sunday (April 12), the Health Ministry said. Confirmed cases totalled 169,496, up from 166,019 the previous day.
(Production: Michael Gore, Elena Rodriguez, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None