- Title: German priest finds way for worshippers to "attend" Easter service
- Date: 11th April 2020
- Summary: VARIOUS OF BOHNERT FAMILY FOLLOWING CHURCH SERVICE FROM HOME
- Keywords: WORSHIPPERS IN GERMANY SUNDAY HOMILY ONLINE DUE TO CORONAVIRUS SOCIAL DISTANCING
- Reuters ID: LVA008C96QX5L
- Location: ACHERN, GERMANY
- City: ACHERN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Duration: 00:00:23
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Worshippers in Germany have been encouraged to follow their Easter Sunday homily online this year amid calls for social distancing to slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, but a priest in the town of Achern has found a way to make them "present" during service.
Joachim Giesler, priest at the Parish Church of our Lady, asked all of his regular churchgoers over the past weeks to send him a digital picture of themselves and their families.
He received about 150 images picturing both individuals and families and printed them out and stuck them to the church pews. In that way, he said, he could conduct mass "normally" and they could still "attend" the Sunday homily (April 5) online while at home.
The priest counted about 1,000 people in total and said he had never experienced that number of attendees in real life.
The Bohnert family regularly attends mass in his church, including the little ones in the family. They own a vineyard in the area and have set up a TV to be able to follow service all together.
Seeing the rest of the church community via the live stream gives them comfort, the Bohnert family said.
The shift to digital worship has touched multiple faith communities, forcing mosques, churches, synagogues and Buddhist temples, among others, to roll out contingency plans.
Easter is one of Christianity's most significant celebrations, marked by a weekend that commemorates the last supper, the crucifixion and the resurrection.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 2020 11:34
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.