- Title: IRAQ: Spate of attacks in Iraq leaves nine dead, 34 wounded
- Date: 5th May 2007
- Summary: 'EMERGENCY '" SIGN WOUNDED POLICEMAN INSIDE HOSPITAL POLICEMAN IN HOSPITAL WARD NEAR WOUNDED COLLEAGUE WOUNDED POLICEMAN MORE OF WOUNDED POLICEMAN AND COLLEAGUE NEAR HIM POLICEMEN INSIDE HOSPITAL WARD
- Embargoed: 20th May 2007 17:17
- Location: Iraq
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVA9QD2E6B4EKHE6K10Q9D3P7IWL
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3
- Story Text: A spate of attacks across Iraq kills nine people, including six policemen who were tortured.
A roadside bomb exploded near a police patrol in the northern city of Kirkuk on Saturday (May 5), killing a civilian and wounding three policemen, security sources said.
People in the oil-rich city of Kirkuk 250 kms (150 miles) north of Baghdad have witnessed a spate of attacks in recent months amid tensions between the Kurdish and Sunni Arab populations.
To the south of Baghdad, a car bomb killed two civilians and wounded 31 on Friday (May 4), said police and hospital sources.
The attack took place metres away from the Shi'ite shrine of Imam al-Hamza al-Gharbi, south of the city of Hilla, 100 kms from the capital. The casualties were pilgrims.
A witness told Reuters there was nothing there to be targetted; it was a sewage works.
Hilla is a frequent scene of attacks. On March 6 two bombers walked into a crowd of Shi'ite pilgrims walking to the holy city of Kerbala and detonated explosive vests, killing at least 77 people and wounding 127.
Police found the bodies of six police officers dumped in a street in Siniya district, 180 kms (112miles) north of Baghdad on Friday. The bodies, which bore signs of torture, were taken to the morgue of Tikrit hospital.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.