- Title: Storyteller livestreams for children in Gaza during Ramadan
- Date: 7th May 2020
- Summary: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA (MAY 4, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AL-LIDAWI DONNING A TRADITIONAL 'HAKAWATI' [STORYTELLER] CAPE AND A RED TARBOUSH AL-LIDAWI ENTERING THE LIVING ROOM AL-LIDAWI PICKING CHILDREN'S BOOKS OFF A SHELF BIG GREEN CORONAVIRUS DOLL ON THE COUCH/AL-LIDAWI READING TO HIS DAUGHTER WITH SMARTPHONE RECORDING THE SCENE AL-LIDAWI READING TO HIS DAUGHTER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) AL-LIDAWI'S DAUGHTER, LIAN AL-LIDAWI, SAYING: "I used to go with my dad to the shows, and dad would always tell very nice stories. I am really happy that dad stayed with us in the house and may God keep us safe from the coronavirus." VARIOUS OF CHILDREN WATCHING AL-LIDAWI'S STORYTELLING ON THE SMARTPHONE SMARTPHONE SCREEN SHOWING AL-LIDAWI AND HIS DAUGHTER'S VIDEO ON HIS SOCIAL MEDIAL ACCOUNT AL-LIDAWI AND HIS DAUGHTER SITTING IN THEIR DECORATED LIVING ROOM, TELLING CHILDREN THAT WILL BE WATCHING HIS VIDEO TO STAY HOME
- Embargoed: 21st May 2020 11:39
- Keywords: COVID-19 Coronavirus Gaza Ramadan Storyteller
- Location: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA
- City: NUSSEIRAT REFUGEE CAMP, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Human-Led Quirky,Human-Led Stories
- Reuters ID: LVA003CCXMLP1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: For the past 18 years during Ramadan, Gazan storyteller Fida Al-Lidawi has been gathering children in the alleys of Nusseirat refugee camp to entertain them with stories and songs.
This year, however, lockdown measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus are preventing Al-Lidawi from his cherished outdoor storytelling sessions.
Unwilling to give up and deprive the children of this annual tradition, Al-Lidawi decided to tell his stories online.
He decorated his living room with lanterns and lights to recreate the traditional Ramadan atmosphere. Seated on a couch with his storyteller outfit and a red tarboush, Al-Lidawi records himself as he reads stories to his young daughter Lian.
Many of his stories include educational topics and advice on how to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Al-Lidawi livestreams his storytelling videos on Facebook every other day, and later uploads them on YouTube as well. Al-Lidawi's videos have reached around 660 young viewers under lockdown so far.
The coronavirus has already infected 20 people in Gaza with no fatalities. In the Palestinian territories, 543 cases of infections have been recorded so far, with three deaths.
(Production: Nehad Khalil, Fadi Shana, Mohammad Shana, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None