- Title: Palestinian artist educates children on coronavirus using cartoons
- Date: 18th May 2020
- Summary: INTERNET (MAY 13, 2020) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF ABU SALEEM'S INSTAGRAM PAGE SHOWING RECENT WORK ON CORONAVIRUS DEIR EL BALAH, GAZA (MAY 12, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ABU SALEEM WORKING ON CORONAVIRUS VERSION OF 'SNAKES AND LADDERS'
- Embargoed: 1st June 2020 16:47
- Keywords: Art COVID-19 Cartoons Children Education Palestinians
- Location: DEIR EL BALAH, GAZA
- City: DEIR EL BALAH, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Art,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA004CEGKI1L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Palestinian artist spent her 14-day quarantine with a sketchbook on her lap and a pencil in her hands, creating educational cartoons on how to stay safe during the coronavirus pandemic.
Neveen Abu Saleem was asked to self-quarantine in her home in Gaza's Dier El Balah after returning from a trip to perform the Umrah pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia. She said this time gave her the opportunity to develop her skills and pour her creativity into her sketches and computer animations.
After posting her cartoons on social media, the artist was approached by organisations like the International Committee of the Red Cross, who asked her to create a coronavirus edition of 'Snakes and Ladders' to demonstrate the dangers of the virus and ways in which people can protect themselves.
Abu Saleem has been an artist for 12 years, and spent most of her career creating children's books.
The coronavirus has infected 20 people in Gaza with no fatalities. In the Palestinian territories, 548 cases of infections have been recorded so far, with four deaths.
(Production: Mohammad Shana, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.