- Title: Palestinians protest Israel's planned annexation
- Date: 1st July 2020
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (JULY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS GATHERED IN PROTEST AGAINST ANNEXATION VARIOUS OF PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN READING (Arabic): "THE ZIONIST ANNEXATION DECISION SHOULD DROP AND THE OCCUPATION SHOULD LEAVE OUR LANDS." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS GATHERED IN FRONT OF STAGE IN 'DAY OF RAGE' PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HAMAS SPOKESMAN FAWZI BARHOUM, SAYING: "It is clear that the U.S does not only support Israel but has also become a direct partner with the occupation in aggression against the Palestinian people and to liquidate the Palestinian cause. Moreover, we are here to confirm that betting on anything that is called negotiations is a lost bet and we warn against going back to negotiations with the Israeli occupation." WOMEN GATHERED IN PROTEST WOMEN POLICE WEARING MASKS IN PROTEST PROTESTER HOLDING SIGN WITH U.S PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP PHOTO READING (Arabic):" THE DEAL OF THE SHAME WILL FALL." VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING IN PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PROTESTER, GHALYA ASALYA, SAYING: "We are all here united against the annexation of the West Bank, and no one, not one person, male, female, old, young, religious, or anyone allow this decision. Israel needs to back down from this decision and we will not give up an inch on this land, nor of Jerusalem, Jerusalem is our capital and with God's help will we will pray in it." NEAR JERICHO, WEST BANK (JULY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN AND ISRAELI DELEGATION WALKING IN TOUR (SOUNDBITE) (English) PALESTINIAN OFFICIAL, JIBRIL RAJOUB, SAYING: "It is the time now to raise a red card for this Israeli government which is trying to lead the whole world by the nose rejecting all the voices coming either from inside of Israel, from the Arabs, Muslims, Europe, everybody except Trump and his crazy administration and to know that here in Palestine still there is a partner, the same voice, the same commitment." GAZA CITY, GAZA (JULY 1, 2020) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS WALKING IN PROTEST AGAINST ANNEXATION
- Embargoed: 15th July 2020 13:09
- Keywords: Israel Palestinians annexation protests
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA/ NEAR JERICHO, WEST BANK
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA/ NEAR JERICHO, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001CKZAYIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Scores of Palestinians took to the streets to protest against Israel's declared intention to annex parts of the occupied West Bank, a move that was said to begin on Wednesday (July 1) but was 'unlikely' to happen during the day, according to Israeli Foreign Minister.
In Gaza City and near the West Bank city of Jericho, Palestinians rallied to call on the international community to stop any Israeli annexation of land under U.S. President Donald Trump's Middle East plan.
It is clear that the U.S does not only support Israel but has also become a direct partner with the occupation in aggression against the Palestinian people and to liquidate the Palestinian cause," said Hamas spokesperson, Fawzi Barhoum.
Earlier on Wednesday, Israel's foreign minister said a move toward the proposed annexation of occupied West Bank land was unlikely on Wednesday, the start date set by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government for discussing such a move.
Netanyahu and his senior coalition partner, Defence Minister Benny Gantz, are at odds over the timing of any unilateral annexation move.
(Production: Mohammad Shana, Abed Shana, Fadi Shana, Adel abu Nemeh, Suheir Sheikh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None