- Title: Honduran president leaves hospital after coronavirus scare
- Date: 2nd July 2020
- Summary: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS (RECENT) (REUTERS) ENTRANCE TO MILITARY HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF MILITARY HOSPITAL
- Embargoed: 16th July 2020 18:01
- Keywords: COVID-19 Honduras Juan Orlando Hernandez coronavirus discharge hospital leader pandemic recovered
- Location: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS
- City: TEGUCIGALPA, HONDURAS
- Country: Honduras
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL4BKG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez was discharged from hospital on Thursday (July 2) after demonstrating clear improvement doctors said after the leader fell ill from coronavirus.
Hernandez announced last Tuesday (June 23) that he had been infected, along with his wife and two aides, saying his symptoms were mild and he would work remotely, but later went to hospital.
The health woes have been a fresh blow for the 51-year-old Hernandez, who has faced increasing domestic pressure after a drug trafficking investigation in the United States that swept up his brother threatened to engulf him as well.
Honduras has reported 20,262 infections and 542 deaths in the pandemic as of Thursday according to the health ministry. But many Hondurans disobeyed the lockdown and the figures are likely to underestimate the impact of the outbreak.
(Production: Manuel Carrillo, Patrick Alwine)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None