- Title: Klopp expects Liverpool reaction after City defeat
- Date: 3rd July 2020
- Summary: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK (JULY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) JUERGEN KLOPP, LIVERPOOL MANAGER, SAYING: "We didn't lose a lot of games in the last two and a half years or so, but we lost them, and they always feel like defeats. So far we always used that for the next games, not only for the next game but for the next games. "If you think about things we didn't do well in this department we have to show a reaction, the reaction doesn't mean that we have to change everything, we just have to be spot on in these moments, and we cannot switch off or whatever."
- Embargoed: 17th July 2020 15:47
- Keywords: Aston Villa Klopp Liverpool soccer title
- Location: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002CL9ABZZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Juergen Klopp said he expects a positive reaction from his players when they face Aston Villa on Sunday after their heavy defeat to Manchester City.
Pep Guardiola's side had a comfortable 4-0 win over the newly crowned champions at the Etihad on Thursday, but despite the defeat Klopp said there were positive aspects to Liverpool's performance.
"We didn't lose a lot of games in the last two and a half years or so, but we lost them, and they always feel like defeats. So far we always used that for the next games," said Klopp in a virtual press conference.
"We have to show a reaction, the reaction doesn't mean that we have to change everything, we just have to be spot on in these moments, and we cannot switch off or whatever."
Liverpool had previously lost only one league game this season, leading some observers to suggest last week's title win - their first in 30 years - and subsequent celebrations had affected play on Thursday.
Klopp dismissed this theory, saying he was pleased with the attitude of his players.
"We were really fighting, the desire was there, it was all there.
"With the desire, the greed and all the examples I saw last night, that's why we are where we are, and we will not stop being like this."
Liverpool have won every home game this season and Aston Villa are battling relegation but Klopp is taking nothing for granted on Sunday.
"We have to respect Villa, we respect their situation, we know the situation they are in and before the game it looks like with our numbers and Villa's numbers that it's clear, but we never saw football games like this," he said.
"Aston Villa has a lot of quality and they do well."
(Production: Andy Ragg)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None