- Title: Round-the-Clock cremations in Bolivia stoke pollution fears for residents
- Date: 3rd July 2020
- Summary: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA (JULY 2, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF CEMETERY VARIOUS OF HEAT RISING FROM CREMATORIUM CHIMNEY VARIOUS OF HEARSE ARRIVING AT CEMETERY (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LOCAL RESIDENT, ANTONIO CHUQUIMIA, SAYING: "There's a lot of black smoke coming out of the chimney with a nauseating smell. The ashes fall into the houses, so we ask for the crematorium to be moved elsewhere. We are very afraid. The wind blows the ashes all over the neighbourhood which affects us." EXTERIOR OF CHUQUIMIA'S HOME VARIOUS OF CHUQUIMIA SEALING WINDOWS WITH PLASTIC SHEET SEALED WINDOW (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) LOCAL RESIDENT, ANTONIO CHUQUIMIA, SAYING: "We seal the windows with duct tape so that no smoke enters the house. The view from my bedroom is towards the cemetery and we do all this to take care of ourselves. In the mornings we have to clean up and we use a lot of water, but the authorities don't see that. They are inconsiderate about disease. Sometimes we can't breathe because the smell is nauseating." PEOPLE CARRYING A COFFIN AND ENTERING CEMETERY PEOPLE ARRIVING AT CEMETERY AND WORKER CLOSING BARS
- Embargoed: 17th July 2020 01:23
- Keywords: Bolivia COVID-19 coronavirus crematorium pollution
- Location: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- City: LA PAZ, BOLIVIA
- Country: Bolivia
- Reuters ID: LVA004CL4C4ZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ever since the coronavirus pandemic started in Bolivia's capital of La Paz, a huge dark cloud of smoke rises from La Paz's municipality cemetery on a daily basis, stoking pollution fears for residents.
The crematorium has been working around the clock in the last few months, from a heightened workload during the COVID-19 outbreak. Black smoke rising from the cemetery chimneys has generated breathing difficulties for the locals.
Neighbours have sealed their home windows to prevent ''nauseating'' smoke from coming in.
Residents have pleaded with local authorities to move the crematorium to a non-residential area but La Paz's Mayor has said the crematorium ovens comply with environmental regulations.
(Production: Monica Machicao, Santiago Limachi, Liamar Ramos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None