- Title: 'I don't know him': French people in the dark about new prime minister
- Date: 3rd July 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JULY 3, 2020) (REUTERS) MATIGNON BUILDING, WHERE PRIME MINISTER HOLDS OFFICE FRENCH FLAG WORKER FROM MOVING AGENCY SPEAKING TO SECURITY AGENT PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) OFFICE WORKER, THOMAS BAUDIN, SAYING (IN RESPONSE TO JOURNALIST ASKING "Do you know Jean Castex"): "No, I don't know him at all." (SOUNDBITE) (French) QUALITY CONTROL OFFICER, ADELE SCHNEEBERGER, SAYING: "I don't know this man, no." (SOUNDBITE) (French) INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY CONSULTANT FOR FINANCE, ERIC TORA, SAYING: "It was the person (Jean Castex) who handled the deconfinement process and, in theory, said to be someone serious, who seems practical, from what we read. So not a politician, first and foremost. So in theory, it's a good thing. Now, we wait and see." TRAINING CONSULTANT, BERTRAND RAMAROSON, WALKING ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) TRAINING CONSULTANT, BERTRAND RAMAROSON, SAYING: "This is completely the prediction, because we were already thinking that the prime minister would be changed next week. And now, it's Jean Castex - it's rather a big surprise. I think that we don't know for the moment. This means that the deconfinement from COVID has become the government's preoccupation." PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) QUALITY CONTROL OFFICER, ADELE SCHNEEBERGER, SAYING: "If it's someone new, well, he can always bring a breath of fresh air for the others. But then, personally, I wasn't really for the resignation of Edouard Philippe. I found that he had a role that was, well, I think it's a big loss their partnership (President Emmanuel Macron and Philippe), the way they worked together - one had a strategic vision while the other was operational. I thought this was interesting." WOMAN WALKING ON STREET
- Embargoed: 17th July 2020 14:35
- Keywords: Edouard Philippe Jean Castex new prime minister reshuffle
- Location: PARIS & SAINT-OUEN, FRANCE
- City: PARIS & SAINT-OUEN, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,International Trade
- Reuters ID: LVA001CL9AZPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CAN BE USED WITH EDIT 5118-FRANCE-POLITICS/CASTEX-FILE WHICH CONTAINS MORE FILE OF CASTEX AND EDIT 5097-FRANCE-POLITICS/ WHICH CONTAINS FILE OF OUTGOING PM EDOUARD PHILIPPE
French President Emmanuel Macron on Friday (July 3) named Jean Castex, a top civil servant and local mayor who orchestrated France's exit from its coronavirus lockdown, as prime minister in a high-stakes cabinet reshuffle.
Castex will be tasked be forming the next government, the Elysee Palace said in a short statement. He replaces Edouard Philippe, who resigned earlier on Friday.
Some Parisians confessed that they did not know Castex, while others bemoaned the loss of Philippe, who many judged as a capable prime minister.
Castex worked in the president's office as deputy secretary-general during the term of Nicolas Sarkozy. He was director of an agency in charge of hospitalisations and treatments, under the health ministry.
In 2017, Castex worked with the 2024 Olympics Committee and was named president of the national sports agency.
He was elected mayor in the southern town of Prades in the first round of the recent municipal elections.
(Production: Michaela Cabrera, Melodie Sforza, Thierry Chiarello)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None