- Title: Large police presence follows protesters, spectators after DC fireworks
- Date: 5th July 2020
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 04, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) POLICE, PROTESTERS, SPECTATORS LEAVING NATIONAL MALL PEOPLE LEAVING NATIONAL MALL / FIREWORKS IN BACKGROUND POLICE FORMING LINE IN STREET VARIOUS OF POLICE AND PEOPLE IN STREET VARIOUS OF TRUMP SUPPORTERS MARCHING DOWN STREET PEOPLE WALKING DOWN STREET BEING FOLLOWED BY POLICE ON BIKES / FIREWORKS IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF BLACK LIVES MATTER PROTESTERS IN SQUARE WHITE HOUSE LIT IN RED, WHITE AND BLUE
- Embargoed: 19th July 2020 05:27
- Keywords: Donald Trump Independence Day July 4 White House fireworks police protests
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001CLJ7GW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: FOR ADDITIONAL PROTEST FOOTAGE, SEE EDIT: 6088-USA-JULYFOURTH/WASHINGTON-PROTEST CLASH
Police watched over Black Lives Matter protesters, U.S. President Donald Trump supporters and spectators following the annual Independence Day fireworks display in Washington, D.C. on Saturday (July 04).
Before the fireworks began, demonstrators and Trump supporters had clashed, but after the show, there were no reports of violence as people made their way out of the National Mall.
Protests against racism and police brutality were planned across the U.S. and Black Lives Matters protesters had organized marches in memory of George Floyd, a Black man who died while in Minnesota police custody in May.
Trump on Saturday vowed to defeat the "radical left," in an Independence Day speech at the White House that condemned recent protests against monuments to historical figures as attempts to destroy the United States.
(Production: Bob Mezan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None